Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
King Saba

Kayak seat recommendations?

It's time I've upgraded my seat, my butt thanks me for that lol. You guys have any recommendations? Comfort is key for me and a fairly high back rest is also needed. One with a bag attached would be nice too. I'd like to spend no more than 80, but I can compromise. Thanks all.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:41 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
It's time I've upgraded my seat, my butt thanks me for that lol. You guys have any recommendations? Comfort is key for me and a fairly high back rest is also needed. One with a bag attached would be nice too. I'd like to spend no more than 80, but I can compromise. Thanks all.

Mahigeer has a couple for sale that he sort of hid on this page

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...=26922&page=11

I have the same seat as the new one that he is selling and I find it very comfortable and the pad seems to maintain it's shape and remains comfortable for years. Mine is getting a little ratty after 8 years and thought of buying his new one but the logistis are an issue for me. You might want to take a look at it.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
Dave Legacy

What seat do you have now? I have a COD Apex seat and it's surprisingly comfortable for a lengthy ride.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post

I have the same seat as the new one that he is selling and I find it very comfortable and the pad seems to maintain it's shape and remains comfortable for years. Mine is getting a little ratty after 8 years and thought of buying his new one but the logistis are an issue for me. You might want to take a look at it.
I wish I had known. I would have took it to Bob for you.

Which one you like? Maybe I can ship it to Bob, if the shipping charge is not an issue with you?

Maybe someone who is coming and is passing me on the way to the TG trip can pick it up.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Unfortunately I like the features of both. I like the thick pad on the new one but I need rod holders on it as my bait tank does not have them and I carry 4 rods normally.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
What seat do you have now? I have a COD Apex seat and it's surprisingly comfortable for a lengthy ride.
I'm leaning towards the Apex right now. I have the generic COD seat that literally has next to no foam for the seating pad.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I had the spider angler seat which was pretty nice. It had "our thickest padding" but it still got uncomfortable for me after a few hours. A Thermarest pad fixed it and easily doubled my comfort time. A pad might work for you on your current seat as it worked on my old basic seat as well. Otherwise that spider was pretty nice with a high back, two rod holders, a little bag, and attachment points.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:18 AM   #8
King Saba

Quote:

lol I'll let you have the seat Rossman.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #9
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I had the spider angler seat which was pretty nice. It had "our thickest padding" but it still got uncomfortable for me after a few hours. A Thermarest pad fixed it and easily doubled my comfort time. A pad might work for you on your current seat as it worked on my old basic seat as well. Otherwise that spider was pretty nice with a high back, two rod holders, a little bag, and attachment points.
an extra pad is my alternative idea and maybe just get newer, not so expensive seat. Which Thermarest do you suggest Alan?
Old 11-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #10
GeauxFish

This has helped me tremendously with long hours fishing! No more lower back aches. Comfortable all day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.3 KB, 121 views)
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
Amish Ed

Check out the Kingfisher seat by Feel Free. Most comfortable seat i've ever used. Andy should have them.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
FISH11

This is the best seat I have used. I have an older model on my older X Factor and it has great back support. The new model even has better bottom padding. Andy (Iceman) has said he recommends this seat, in the past. If you look at the picture, I think it even comes with a bottle of beer. Hopefully some Ballast Point, Ha Ha.http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ic-angler-seat
Old 11-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
This is the best seat I have used. I have an older model on my older X Factor and it has great back support. The new model even has better bottom padding. Andy (Iceman) has said he recommends this seat, in the past. If you look at the picture, I think it even comes with a bottle of beer. Hopefully some Ballast Point, Ha Ha.http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ic-angler-seat
That is what I bought from Andy before going to Baja. I like it.

That is another reason I have two for sale now.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #14
King Saba

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have to see if they can fit my budget. For now I ordered this cushion for those sore butt ailments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Old 11-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #15
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Sorry I didn't suggest this earlier but those little kneeling pads that you can find at gardening supply stores for a few bucks work pretty darn good if you need extra padding.
— Herman Melville

Old 11-05-2015, 06:45 AM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The foam stadium seat type pad added a little comfort but wasn't enough for me and I wasn't happy until I bought a self-inflating air type. To be fair I was out for up to 8 hours or longer and would have probably been OK with just extra foam for shorter 3-4 hour trips. I still preferred the air seat for shorter trips too though.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:39 AM   #17
King Saba

So after testing out the foam pad at NPH I can say that it does help a little, but I still get sore from using it for more than a couple hours. Maybe it was the way sat. Anyways, after standing up for a few minutes (because I have a stealth ) my back was feeling better and the seat provided better comfort surprisingly for the next 3 hours after that.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #18
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Sorry I didn't suggest this earlier but those little kneeling pads that you can find at gardening supply stores for a few bucks work pretty darn good if you need extra padding.

Agree. I added one of these to my old Tarpon 120. Gave me an extra few hours of comfort. I traced my seat's outline and cut it to fit. Pretty cheap and easy solution.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote