Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
shrkb8t
Junior

DP White Sighting 6-16-17

I was out of Dana Point Harbor kayak fishing for leopard sharks & halibuts friday, when a great white "pup" came up to bump the side of my kayak, i thumped him on the nose with the butt end of my fishing rod. i quickly started chasing him while video taping him. then facetimed my wife so she could see it live, she wasn't happy with me...
shrkb8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
INGRIDSDAD

Parasailed Dana on Saturday and we saw 6 or 7. Biggest was about 10'. very cool experience.
INGRIDSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrkb8t View Post

then facetimed my wife so she could see it live, she wasn't happy with me...
So not a great idea! LOL!

Last edited by TheBentRod; 06-20-2017 at 05:12 PM.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
jorluivil

LONG BEACH (CBSLA.com) — The combination of hot weather, big crowds at the beach seeking relief from the heat, and the rash of recent shark sightings has lifeguards on alert this weekend.

With temperatures inland expected to hit triple digits this weekend, and not let up until next weekend, authorities are preparing for large influx of people at Southern California’s beaches – which have been closed on and off, up and down the coast because of shark sightings, swarms and attacks throughout the spring.

“We’ll keep an eye out, but we’ll probably stay kind of close to the shore,” a beachgoer from Sacramento said.

Making things worse are reports of people throwing shark food into the water to lure them closer to shore.

“We’ve gotten reports of possibly people chumming,” Long Beach Marine Safety Capt. Cameron Abel said. “From our standpoint, it’s a public safety concern. What we don’t want is sharks to become accustomed and conditioned to looking to humans for food.”

Chumming is not illegal, but lifeguards are cracking down on dumping of waste of any kind.

Video below, go to the 1:30 mark

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
jorluivil

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
DanaYakAngler

Thumbs down chumming

“We’ve gotten reports of possibly people chumming,” Long Beach Marine Safety Capt. Cameron Abel said. “From our standpoint, it’s a public safety concern. What we don’t want is sharks to become accustomed and conditioned to looking to humans for food.”

If this is true, which it probably is, what Idiots!

sounds like a bunch of people who don't enjoy the beach on a regular basis looking for a thrill. Possibly endangering those of us who regularly enjoy our local waters.
DanaYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
sharjak

So much for the butts and rays off capistrano this year
sharjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Putting a bait in the water at Dohenny is basically chumming right now. The sharks have been there for weeks and it has been on every network. Just like Sea Lions, if you know they are around then fish somewhere else. Rewarding either species for hanging around kayaks is not a good long term strategy.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

Considering your username, maybe you shouldnt have been chasing down a GWS.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #10
DanaYakAngler

Where do we fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Putting a bait in the water at Dohenny is basically chumming right now. The sharks have been there for weeks and it has been on every network. Just like Sea Lions, if you know they are around then fish somewhere else. Rewarding either species for hanging around kayaks is not a good long term strategy.
There is no sure bet to avoid these animals. Sure, the Sharks seem to be more concentrated from Dana point south, but have been seen up to Long Beach. And as for sea lions, good luck avoiding them. Fish where you can and keep an eye out on your surroundings.
DanaYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
Caseym

"As the mayor I am proud to say the sun is out, the weather is beautiful and the beaches are open! You know Amity means 'friend'."

"No whistles, No whistles!"
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
PapaDave

Off hand, there has been GW's along that beach for years, just not in the numbers you see today.

I'm pretty sure there are some wahoo's trying to hook them up too and attracting them with chum.

As close to the beach that they are I don't think chumming is a good idea.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Considering your username, maybe you shouldnt have been chasing down a GWS.
LOL!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
shrkb8t
Junior

No chum used to get the video. just using bait barge sardines on the bottom with my 20lbs halibut rig, i was in 11'-13' of water, my line had just snag the bottom and broke off, i was reeling in the line when i seen a grey shadow heading for the side of my 12' hobie outback . it's amazing to see a GWS, never had any issues with sea lions in this area.
I like ingridsdad idea, sounds like an E-Ticket Ride.

and yes my user name was fitting!!
shrkb8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
Caseym

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Off hand, there has been GW's along that beach for years, just not in the numbers you see today.

I'm pretty sure there are some wahoo's trying to hook them up too and attracting them with chum.

As close to the beach that they are I don't think chumming is a good idea.
Heard about "Fluffy" from all the SUP'ers at San O' since the famous Chuck Patterson GoPro footage back in 2013 or so. 6-7' juvenile lingering around Trail 1 just South if Dog Patch. Didnt think much of it. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2014...trolling around San O' on a dead flat day with chrystal clear water in my 13' Ocean Kayak with my kid sitting on the bow. Line got bumped and clicker went off for a second then stopped. I turned around and watched 7'+ "Fluffy" turn broadside and slide away from the rear of my Yak. I shit myself. It kinda seems only a matter of time with these suckers.
Just read about an 18'er that buzzed a couple of guys about to spearfish a paddy 14 miles out (check 'Decks). All I can say is THEYRE GROWING!!
Attached Images

Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #16
PapaDave

Well, we were wanting some sort of seal control, right?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #17
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Yep, there's a shark. They live in the ocean.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #18
Iceman
Administrator

yikes, great photo..........was planning on taking my daughter there Friday.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #19
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaYakAngler View Post
There is no sure bet to avoid these animals. Sure, the Sharks seem to be more concentrated from Dana point south, but have been seen up to Long Beach. And as for sea lions, good luck avoiding them. Fish where you can and keep an eye out on your surroundings.
I am not saying not to fish Dana Pt. There are lots of good spots out of that place that are not right where the sharks are showing up basically every day. The Pipe, Headlands and Salt Creek are just a few. I would be willing to bet that your odds of a GWS eating your bait in any of those spots is at least 10 times lower. There are lots of tricks to reduce losing baits to Sea Lions, but the first rule is don't fish bait where they are hanging out.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #20
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Just read about an 18'er that buzzed a couple of guys about to spearfish a paddy 14 miles out (check 'Decks). All I can say is THEYRE GROWING!![/QUOTE]

I couldn't find the post on BD. Do you have the link?

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote