Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
Snags

MDR Spotties

Launched at mother's beach this morning at first light for a quick session. Caught 6 nice spotties in the first hour and picked away at em for 4 more. Just spotties today. Don't know where the calicos went.
Lots of micro bait around and some fish busting on the big schools. Think they were macs or bonito.
One bust off on the outside of the breakwall.
Ran me right into the rocks. Lost my favorite lure. Off the water by 10 or so.
Pretty much had the marina all to myself. Weekdays
are the best.
Cheers, Steve
Snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snags View Post
Launched at mother's beach this morning at first light for a quick session. Caught 6 nice spotties in the first hour and picked away at em for 4 more. Just spotties today. Don't know where the calicos went.
Lots of micro bait around and some fish busting on the big schools. Think they were macs or bonito.
One bust off on the outside of the breakwall.
Ran me right into the rocks. Lost my favorite lure. Off the water by 10 or so.
Pretty much had the marina all to myself. Weekdays
are the best.
Cheers, Steve
Great report, I'm super jealous!

Were you throwing smaller baits? I've noticed my smaller profile bite is turning off and they are starting to bite larger profiles now. I'm just getting chewers but they are biting every larger bait I'm throwing now.

Also, if you are fishing the breakwall, why not launch at the boat ramp? I was doing the Mothers thing at first and then I got tired to schleping all the way through the marina. Parking is pretty steep though at the boat ramp. I gotta find a way to park cheaper and just walk my boat to the water....

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Snags

I definitely like to use larger profile baits. It weeds out the babies.
As for launching from Mother's, I like to paddle and there is plenty of fishable structure between Mother's and the wall.
You can park on the street in Playa just on the other side of the bridge near Balona creek for free. From there you can wheel your kayak to a fairly steep ramp on the creek and it's a 5 minute paddle up the creek and out to the open ocean.
Snags is offline   Reply With Quote