Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
FamousJay
Junior

New, and have a few questions...

Hey guys, I'm Jay.

I bought a Perception Tribe 13.5 tandem for the wife (Nessa) and I last month, and we are now giving fishing a go. I'm not a stranger to fishing as I lived on the east coast of Florida years ago. I got the kayak almost all rigged out, with scotty rod holders, Bait tube, and a fish finder. We went out to Dana Point a few weeks ago with not much luck. I think we showed up a little late and the gear we had may not have been correct for the left coast. (still have all my Florida gear) We plan to start fishing out of Dana Point and La Jolla.

The gear I have now consist of all Spinning gear:

Shimano Spheros 5000FA and 8000FA with Crowder E-glass rods.

Okuma Coronado CD30 with a Crowder E-glass rod.

Various "East Coast" lures I used for redfish, snook, trout...etc.

My questions are....

Where do I start as far line weight selection, leader weight...etc?

What are some of the popular lures (size, color..etc)?

What kind of live bait rigs are used (hook size,hook placement...etc)?

Nothing is worse then paddling for hours and getting frustrated just to find out that you are using incorrect gear and methods.

We launched at the small paddle board/kayak beach near the marine institute, and paddled out the inlet and ended up a few markers south of the harbor. I'm not asking for anyone's hot spot, however where is a good place to start? I have a "Map co." map, but it's pretty generic.

Thanks in advance!
Jay
FamousJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
INGRIDSDAD

Welcome to the addiction Jay. I'm fishing La Jolla on Saturday along with 1-2 hundred other kayaks. Come down for the Steve Moyer Memorial Tourney. Most of us are like you and NO chance of winning but its a great cause, cool t shirts great grub and a kick ass raffle.
If you want to tag along shoot me a PM, Ill be heading down the I-15 Saturday in your neck of the woods around 3 AM.

Its the best time for anyone new to the sport to check out what everyone else has for gear.
INGRIDSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Lets_Fish

Welcome to BWE. Lots of information throughout these forums. You can use the search button for most of your "self help" and many others will chime in on what works for them.

As for line weight, in the bays & harbors you can go as light as you want up to 20#. In the deep blue it depends on what your targeting. 15# on the light side to 65# spectra for those ghost with fluorocarbon tip.

Lots of lead heads with plastic for bass in the kelp. As for hooks size, again depends on what you target.

BTW I'm in Wildomar, so shoot me a pm if you want to go out (weekends preferred). Also if your into fresh water, you can yak @ Perris for bass.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
yotasan

welcome aboard.

I'm a nubee myself but learned alot from this website. Here's a link to get you started.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=infohome

Yotasan
yotasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
DanaPT

Welcome aboard. . .

I think saw you and your fishing partner on the water around and near the harbor mouth about 3 weeks ago. Is your tandem blue and white (cloud patterned like?).

You ask about gear, I'm certainly no expert but after a year of fishing DP on my kayak I've learned a few things.
1) You've joined the right board for intel, tips & motivation
2) The big fish are in La Jolla.
3) Dana has SOME fish to catch: From sharks, halibut, barracuda, calico, etc. (and that's just in the harbor!)

http://danapointtimes.com/view/full_...-Point-Harbor-

Best to be specific, target the type of fish you want to catch and bring the "right gear". I enjoy fishing the Headland's kelp, you never know what you may catch out there watch the posts! (that's why I've migrated to kelp cutting outfits, #50+ braid with short top-shot/leader.)

I like to bring and handful of 3-5 inch Hammer swim baits with 1/2 to 1 1/2 lead heads (some sauce is always nice). Keep casting, dropping, bouncing, until you catch them. Some days are better than others, but I like brown, red, and orange color patterns first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08122011 calico 3.jpg (58.9 KB, 136 views)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

welcome to the addiction all, lot's of good info and lot's and lot's of good people in here, hope you enjoy and be safe out there this weekend...
Icemans breakfast club ot to be a good place to be....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
yani

If you want to fish Dana, join the Kayakfishingmafia.com.

They have weekly get togethers, monthly tourneys, and
lots of guys with experience who are super friendly.

There's lots to learn...but that's the fun of it.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
FamousJay
Junior

Thanks guys for all the info. I now have some insight on gear and locations to try. If I could now just get some time off work, I will put it all to use.
FamousJay is offline   Reply With Quote