Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
ctumekubo
Junior

I'm new to this.

Happy day everyone! I recently got into kayak fishing and would like any suggestions you might have to help me out. Please keep in mind that I've only been fishing for a year and this is my first time fishing from any type of boat. I've been looking up as much info as possible but figured it was time to just post something. So far I've paddled out 3 times launching from Escondido beach and just love being out there but haven't had much success when it comes to catching. I normally don't paddle too far away from that area. I just work my way around those kelp beds. I have been soaking squid on a dropper loop or trolling around using live mackerel with a squall 15, tossing swimbaits into and around the kelp with a battle ll 3000, and dropping the sabiki on a fierce ll 2500. One issue I face is that I don't own a car so I have to rely on getting rides to the spot and I haven't been able to get out onto the water until 11 or so. I know I just need to spend more time on the water but is there any other advice you all might have for me? Thanks for reading this long post!
-Chris
ctumekubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctumekubo View Post
I know I just need to spend more time on the water but is there any other advice you all might have for me?
Nope, that pretty much sums it up!

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
ctumekubo
Junior

Hah, Thanks man. I'll be out there.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctumekubo View Post

Hah, Thanks man. I'll be out there.
It took me about half a dozen trips to the same spots to consistently get on fish. So no matter what advise any of us gives you, its time on the water that will make you better.

I can teach you how to make a free throw, but you gotta practice those lessons to start making shots...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
jorluivil

I made about 13 - 200 mile round trip fishing trips to LJ before I caught anything worth mentioning. The only advise I can give you is to have lots and lots of patience because things don't come easy in this sport, kayakers could be hooking up on fish all around you and you'll be sitting there wondering what you're doing wrong so be patient and get on the water as much as possible. Don't hesitate to ask people questions but please watch how you approach them, some guys like to have their 'safe space' and others are a little more accepting of strangers.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
When it's hot....it's hot, when it's not it knot......

Slowjolla....make soup broth with your bait....mackerel bring ice to eat your squid...
Old 05-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
TJones

I am always willing

To meet new guys , and meet up with them mid week as long as my regular crew does not find out I am sharing honey hole secrets .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
TJones

Cancell my invite

Getting hate mail already .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
ctumekubo
Junior

Thanks everyone! Ya, I was thinking that once I got out on the water I would instantly be pulling in way more fish than I was from shore but I'm realizing that there's a whole new learning curve that comes along with it. I think I've spent more time trying not to get my three rods snagged than actually fishing. Practice and patience. Sooo, mid week?