Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 8-18-17

Launched with Landwhale at about 6:45 to low clouds and no wind. Water was warm (no FF today as I was feeling lazy), clear, and holding lots of floating eel grass.

We spent most of our time on the buoy line. Fish were short biting quite a bit, but we picked away at mostly short spotties. I did get 2 keepers in this area, and a short butt too. Today the fish were mostly on the deeper side, unlike the last few times where they were mostly shallow. Wind came up about 8:30, but it wasn't much of an issue as it was slack tide. In the first 1/2hr I went from 3 functional rods to 1. One had a line issue and the other the level wind is busted (grabbed the wrong rod when loading up).

About 9:00 we moved over to fish the channel off the Harbor Patrol docks. First couple drifts (over by the yellow stick buoy) yielded lots of short strikes and not much else. Then I did 2 drifts from the buoy to the docks and got 6 spotties. a few more drifts for nada, and then 2 more drifts for a spot each. We wrapped it up early (10:00) as Steve's yak was taking on too much water and I needed to get home.

Only used 1/2oz Coolbaits underspins all morning. One was plain and had either a 4" houdini Paddlerz or 4" bad shad Paddlerz. The other was chartreuse/white with a 4" chartreuse copper Kalin grub. All of these caught some fish, but the bad shad combo did best. There was lots of fin bait around, so I'd assume that helped. Tempo for me was faster than normal, winding at a moderate speed seemed to get the fish to commit. Where as when I wound slowly, I would get short strikes. Also, Hot Sauce made a noticeable difference too. I was constantly reapplying.

Over all it was a great day to be out and having not been out in 3 weeks made it that much sweeter.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
StumpFisher

Nice report! Glad you guys made off safe if he was taking on that much water.
StumpFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Thanks. He's had an ongoing issue with this leak. He took on about 3 gallons today. Hopefully it'll be patched and not leaking next week.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Good stuff Ed
Old 08-19-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Thanks. He's had an ongoing issue with this leak. He took on about 3 gallons today. Hopefully it'll be patched and not leaking next week.
Hasn't that boat been leaking for awhile? I seem to remember an issue at Mission Bay last year.

Good report though, I should have loaded up and gone out. I always kick myself for not going when I could have.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #6
Amish Ed

Weather permitting we're thinking Dana for next week. You should join us. And yes, Steve's yak has been leaking a while, but it's getting worse.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Weather permitting we're thinking Dana for next week. You should join us. And yes, Steve's yak has been leaking a while, but it's getting worse.
I may be able to make it Thursday but I have over night posse training Friday and Saturday
Old 08-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Not sure what my Thursday schedule is yet. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:04 AM   #9
landwhale

Been tryin to patch the cracks in the bottom of the scupper now I'm going to have a patch ove3r the area that will stop the leak.

The fishing was good 15 fish with 4 legal spotties one 1.5lber caught on 1/2oz Coolbaits underspins with Houdini and Redbone Zman Paddles dipped in Uni Butter.

Another fun day fishing with ED nice to see fish moving deeper into the Harbor

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #10
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwhale View Post
Been tryin to patch the cracks in the bottom of the scupper now I'm going to have a patch ove3r the area that will stop the leak.

The fishing was good 15 fish with 4 legal spotties one 1.5lber caught on 1/2oz Coolbaits underspins with Houdini and Redbone Zman Paddles dipped in Uni Butter.

Another fun day fishing with ED nice to see fish moving deeper into the Harbor
You have been fighting those leaks for a long time. I'm trying to think what you can use to seal those leaks up. Have you tried that leak sealer in the can?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
landwhale

Been trying to just fill the cracks they are in the scupper hole right under the seat and my weight is right on top of it going to have another piece of plastic over the area and goop up the inside just didn't want to have a bump on the bottom of the kayak Vanity

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
Stuck20

Fished NPH yesterday and got my personal best harbor bass, 17" and fat right past the buoy line where those rocks protrude a bit. He slammed a yellow/blue big hammer swim bait.

Ed, do you know the rules on fishing NPH at night? The bite got hot right as the sun was setting. I have a 360 degree light but didn't have my headlamp with me so I couldn't fish into the darkness. I tried looking it up but couldn't find any information. Do they let us fish in the middle of the night? I'm thinking about doing a 1600-0100 trip cause I work nights and it's hard for me to find a time to go early in the day.
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
Amish Ed

360 light and headlamp and you'll be fine. I've done a lot of night fishing and only use a headlamp. Night time in Newport can be epic. Parking is the real issue. Harbor Patrol will nail you if you're in their lot after 10pm. And if you're parked on the street, the neighbors might call the PD if they think you're too loud. I've been talked to before as the neighbors said I was a prowler. And finally, keep your head on a swivel. Boats can sneak up on you pretty easy. Have fun and post a report.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
Stuck20

Thanks for the info. I will definitely post a report when I get out there for a night session. Was thinking of trying to park just outside the coast guard station so I'm not in front of any residences.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
fourtogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwhale View Post
Been trying to just fill the cracks they are in the scupper hole right under the seat and my weight is right on top of it going to have another piece of plastic over the area and goop up the inside just didn't want to have a bump on the bottom of the kayak Vanity
I only see some Photo shop junk ?
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #16
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck20 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will definitely post a report when I get out there for a night session. Was thinking of trying to park just outside the coast guard station so I'm not in front of any residences.
That should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtogo View Post
I only see some Photo shop junk ?
Photobucket no longer supports third party linking. You have to pay for it. Steve, upload to your gallery on BWE, then link to that.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #17
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck20 View Post
What day of the week? I might be up for a Saturday night sometime.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #18
Stuck20

Quote:
What day of the week? I might be up for a Saturday night sometime.
I'll probably go this Friday. Heading up to Silver Lake next weekend for Labor Day but after that I'll send you a PM and we can go fishing
Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
Amish Ed

Sounds good.