Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
echo1er

What do you wear?

Researching, youtube watching and goggled everything about what to wear when kayaking. The dry suit looks best for the winter and over cast days. But I wanna ask my peers what they use from board shorts to waders. What to wear durning summer time and winter time. Also PFDs... best bang for its buck. I look up an old old threads but that was a couple of years ago. Is there new gear out there, did they make it wee wee friendly (peeing)?

things I'm looking at is.

NRS outerlayer Package
http://www.oceansidediveandkayak.com...Package/Detail

Fisherman PFD
http://www.oceansidediveandkayak.com...man-PFD/Detail
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I prefer the waders and a splash jacket in the cooler months. Board shorts/shirt and sunscreen in the summer, with an occasional
Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
DanaPT

Keep it simple.

I'm not a surf launcher anymore AND I don't catch those big fish that splash volumes of water with their massive tails, so maybe I stay drier than the average bear.

I hate having swamp A$$ and like to keep dry.

I use the breathable waders and normally wear shorts under. Layered uppers depending on the weather. I have a nice wind-breaker north face jacket that seems to repel water and doesn't feel wet even when it is and keeps the cold wind off me.

Especially during the summer I like the same waders, cause sun on the legs for 6 hours get's old. A rash guard upper seems to keep me cool in the hot sun.

Taking care of business requires unsnapping and I use a cup. Helps keep things contained. (Don't ever ask to drink from my cup.)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
echo1er

Do you have pictures of your attire.

now breathable waders. Did you buy them off line or the local kayak stores?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
PapaDave

I have a pair of dry pants and a dry jacket, and a pair of waders. The waders are for surf launches and the pants are for tamer launches. The dry suit outfit works fine and is easier to releive one's pressure. The one you have linked looks pretty good, nice price too.

The PFD is a nice one. I have one similar and now think that getting an slimmer, perhaps an inflatable, less bulky model might be better. All the pockets are great but I didn't end up using them much, except for the radio. And the bulkiness of the PFD is a pain when trying to reach around or find something you dropped. Just my experience though.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Breathable waders and a water resistant hurricane jacket during the winter. Board sports and at shirt in the summer. KFS on this sight has a nice looking pfd for 40 bucks. Ive never used it but it looks like it would do the trick.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Drake

I wear a pair of Grudens Gage dry pants. They're lightweight, comfy and waterproof. They don't make me sweat and I can wear them with layers underneath or not. On top, this is my new favorite piece of attire. I wear a Hyperflex 2mm neopreme hoodie. Its warm, comfortable, holds ZERO water and all around a great top for hooping on those cold nights, or surf launches on chilly days. I love it. It's made out of the same stuff wetsuits and some drysuits are made out of.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
kobra

If you go with breathable waders make sure they have a zipper. That's what I use and it makes it easy when it comes to relief time. Layer on upper half topped with some kind of water resistant or waterproof windbreaker type of jacket. In the warmer weather, just board shorts and a tee shirt with sunscreen.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
I prefer the waders and a splash jacket in the cooler months. Board shorts/shirt and sunscreen in the summer, with an occasional
&&&& Plenty YT With few
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
echo1er

alright going the waders route for winter season. Now where to buy them and what to look for. #1 Zipper the #2 has to be breathable... what else
Old 02-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
lterrero
Leo

That's the way to go, Breathable and try them with your clothes on so you don't buy a Wader too small & if you can afford zipper Ok. Good luck
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
RK

breathable waders and a splash jacket......
wear layers so you can add or reduce when needed..
Nrs makes these spalsh pants my friend told me about that I absolutley love in the summer months.....
But cooler seasons cant go wrong with a pair or thick socks and breathable waders.. NRS makes good splash wear though that of course is my opionon solely on the temperatures of the area I fish, if you fish in alaska wear a dry suit. Otheriwse youll be good to go in something lite and dry.. Just remeber if your not super comfortable on your kayak yet dress to swim its a good thought to keep in mind.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
breathable waders and a splash jacket......
wear layers so you can add or reduce when needed..
Nrs makes these spalsh pants my friend told me about that I absolutley love in the summer months.....
But cooler seasons cant go wrong with a pair or thick socks and breathable waders.. NRS makes good splash wear though that of course is my opionon solely on the temperatures of the area I fish, if you fish in alaska wear a dry suit. Otheriwse youll be good to go in something lite and dry.. Just remeber if your not super comfortable on your kayak yet dress to swim its a good thought to keep in mind.
you forgot to mention your signature comfort series of under armor

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
you forgot to mention your signature comfort series of under armor

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Owyn I literally spilled my beer and am pissing myself laughing...
On a serious note those Id wear those, just to prevent chaffing and all. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
GregAndrew

Don't go with a "waterproof" jacket, go with a splash or paddle jacket. Most "waterproof" jackets are only waterproof to water running over them, not being submersed in it. I had a nice fishing "waterproof" jacket that could have drown me in bad conditions. It had lots of pockets that retained water very well, making the jacket weight about 25 lbs when it hit the water. Choose a splash or paddle jacket with a good solid neck strap. A faulty neck strap will leave you soggy at times and can be dangerous when you are in the water. With a good neck, wrist and waist seal, you will stay dry and buoyant for a long time. Lightweight and breathable (Gortex or similar if you can afford it) are also important considerations on the jacket. I would sooner layer up under my jacket than to not wear it cause it was going to be too hot later in the day. Which brings up my last consideration, oversize to allow for layers. Bottoms are personal preference in my opinion.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I wear a pair of Grudens Gage dry pants. They're lightweight, comfy and waterproof. They don't make me sweat and I can wear them with layers underneath or not. On top, this is my new favorite piece of attire. I wear a Hyperflex 2mm neopreme hoodie. Its warm, comfortable, holds ZERO water and all around a great top for hooping on those cold nights, or surf launches on chilly days. I love it. It's made out of the same stuff wetsuits and some drysuits are made out of.

im debating on ordering one of these right now... lol i've always wanted a neoprene jacket.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Drake

Lowprofile, since you're military, sign up for promotive.com
Hyperflex in on there for 40% off to Military
Old 02-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Drake

Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-02-13 at 10.39.15 PM.png (109.4 KB, 230 views)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
jorluivil

Whenever I fish I always keep two things in mind: what type of elements I'll be fishing in and how easy it is to shed in case I get tossed. The last thing you need is to be covered in clothing that will weigh you down or be hard to shed.

For me:
cold climates or while hooping: cotton socks, long johns, long sleeve shirt, waders, splash jacket and wading boots(worn to help protect the wader socks). If its extremely cold or raining I will wear a waterproof jacket BUT I will always wear it over my PFD and never under it. I do it mainly because of what GregAndrew said regarding the waterproof jackets retaining water. If I get tossed I want to be able to get the jacket off without having to remove my PFD.

Summer: Columbia Blood and Guts Superlight long sleeve shirt, Columbia blood and guts convertible pants, thin socks and water shoes

Head Gear: I used to just wear a regular cap but it wasn't doing much protection from the sun especially at this time of the season when the sun doesn't rise to high. I recently purchased a full rim hat, I wear this with my buff and now I get little to no sun exposure on my face.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-17-2012 at 04:57 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
lterrero
Leo

Don't forget the RYAN KLEIN, I'm going to get two Aqua Blue for me & my honey, they are terrific!