Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
TheSherThang

Grunion Run

Looking to go on a Grunion Run this weekend. Know any beaches that open late enough for that? I know LA County Beaches close at 10pm.
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
esdees
The Good Clone

I've seen good runs at Ocean Beach (San Diego). As far as I know, most beaches in SD don't close at night.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
cameron2007
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
I've seen good runs at Ocean Beach (San Diego). As far as I know, most beaches in SD don't close at night.
no la jolla gets closed at 10:00
cameron2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
esdees
The Good Clone

What do you mean by "closed"? I've launched and landed there after ten without any problems. Is it posted? I must admit, I don't read the signs that are at the entrance. Regardless, you can't collect grunions or do any other type of fishing there at any time.

Last edited by esdees; 07-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Willy

I have gone to the beaches in Pacific beach, and the beach just north of the Mission Bay jetty. The parking lot there, at the jetty, closes at ten, but you can walk out onto the beach and park on the street outside the gate. That is where I have seen the best Grunion Runs. Bring a flashlight.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Vikingj

Doheny Beach at the base of the breakwater is always a productive spot with nearby metered parking. It "officially" closes ( I think 10PM is posted?) but grunion hunters are allowed after hours. I've asked county sheriff and state park rangers about hours and been told that late hrs on grunion nights are not enforced as long as you are not loud or disruptive. I've been there several times and once was approached by a polite DFG to check for license. Good luck.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
cameron2007
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
What do you mean by "closed"? I've launched and landed there after ten without any problems. Is it posted? I must admit, I don't read the signs that are at the entrance. Regardless, you can't collect grunions or do any other type of fishing there at any time.
last time my fanily went to lajolla for the grunion run @ ten the cops came and started giving tickets so youre sadly mistaken
Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
sdcityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron2007 View Post
last time my fanily went to lajolla for the grunion run @ ten the cops came and started giving tickets so youre sadly mistaken
tickets for being on the beach? or are you talking about parking in the lot? regardless you can't grunion hunt at la jolla shores!

Last edited by sdcityboy; 07-03-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: !
sdcityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
ibbeerbum
Junior

I live down in Imperial Beach there is no problem down here or on the silver strand state beach.
ibbeerbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
esdees
The Good Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron2007 View Post
Lame!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
quietman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
Doheny Beach at the base of the breakwater is always a productive spot with nearby metered parking. It "officially" closes ( I think 10PM is posted?) but grunion hunters are allowed after hours. I've asked county sheriff and state park rangers about hours and been told that late hrs on grunion nights are not enforced as long as you are not loud or disruptive. I've been there several times and once was approached by a polite DFG to check for license. Good luck.
Yep.

I have caught lotsa grunion there, great spot, and the cops/dfg are cool.

Back five or so years ago yani would float around out there in a shark donut and I would yak it up for whatever would bite.

We never did that well.

But always had a good time...

JR
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
cameron2007
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcityboy View Post
tickets for being on the beach? or are you talking about parking in the lot? regardless you can't grunion hunt at la jolla shores!
yeah we wernt hunting them we just wanted to see them
Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
One Rev

That is very strange. I would have to have some official word about walking on the beach after 10pm. If that's the case then shut down them tourist staying at the lodge because they are out after 10 on the beach. I know they can close the gates to the parking lot but not the street. Like I said, I just don't see how they can enforce something like that.

Mike R
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote