Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 01:26 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

I may be going long today

This is hard to ignore. if the winds are as light as they are supposed to be, I may paddle that direction Stay tuned..........

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51310

http://www.tempbreak.com/#

Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Razorback

Andy -

Call me if the current take you south to the end of the American Waters and we will send out a support boat for you. Hate to see you acosted by the Mexi navy. :P

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I launched around 4 AM. Punched in the numbers for the TP outer buoy, said 9.3 miles. Hit the pier, glassy black seas, starry sky. looked good. Got to the pier and put my fist mac down with a 2 oz slider. Picked up another mac. Seemed to be picky. Clicker chirped and then took off somewhat slow and steady. Put the reel in strike, light drag, Brad's advise. Fish was under the pier and pulled me through to the south side, ran out front and sulked a bit, thought it could be a YT, took me out about a 1/4 mile, pretty eerie in the dark all alone, turned back toward the beach. Every time I'd get a short stroke going , it would take it all back An hour later after I had to break it off as I knew I was in the reserve, I was pretty sure it was a black seabass. It still had as much energy as when I started. I was dripping sweat and noodle armed.

Back to the pier for the rest of my bait. Paddled out and saw some lil bonies pop, then some puddling YT. Before I could get within iron range the mac went off, fricken bonie, by the time I landed it the YT disapeared. Kept going west. Few more missed bones. Tons of birds, every kind around 4 miles, with mackeral everywhere. Found a pair of mylar balloons at 5 miles, but nothing around. Saw a couple boats around 6 miles, 9 o clock had to turn back. Word on the radio was it was aPM bite, one guy had 1 yt and a guy that went ousfurther did pretty well.

Around 4 1/2 miles heard some splashing and turned the yak to see some big boney torpedos launching, did not even bother throwing at em. Current did end up sucking me south. Hooked a nice YT in front of the Bishop's School (gold crown) in 40 feet or so, took me into that leather strap like stuff. Broke a few and thought I had the fish, but it had wraped more than even 40# spectra could handle, finally pulled hard enough to break off. retied and paddled north, guy in front of me BENDO and gettin towed. Broke his off too. Nothing but a calico after that. LOOOOOOOOOOOng paddle por nada, but it was fun (in an aching back kinda way)
Old 08-23-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Sorry to hear you only got a good workout today.
Thanks for calling us when those puddlers appeared.
Sure were a lot of dogs out there today.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
james89

yeah bishop's school
james89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
blackcloud9
Kayaker

wow, nice effort Andy, 6 miles each direction is a huge paddle. Buoy 046 area is a good long 6 miles each way, 2 hours, even with a pedal kayak. Could be a great area as well. Know anyone with a spotter plane?

If anyone attempts, remember the LJ launch is upcurrent from that location so plan the landing accordingly, like Bird Rock or Pacific Beach. Someone land-launching on a Hobie will get a dodo this year I think.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Know anyone with a spotter plane?
I actually do have a friend who flies spotting swords for stick boats, but he started flying up north as there are way more swordies around the islands up there. I used to get pretty cool info when he would buzz LJ.

If that big mystery fish would not have sucked an hours time, I would have gone out 8 miles. I was pissed as I saw the stream of headlamps heading to the pier, after my 4 AM launch.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
vellocity

read your post and tried hailing you on the VHF, see if you were still going long as i would buddy boat with you..

wind were perfect, but that marine layer would have made going long not as inviting.. so much easier seeing the contrast kelp vs. blue water with some sun behind us..

next time and let me know, i'll cover the distance and save your paddles for a straight line to something..
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Nelz, I had the radio, but switched to 72 to see what was going on PB-wise

Looking at the reports it was not an AM or a PM thing it was just slow yesterday. Glad I had the GPS when the coast disappeared in the marine layer.

Here is the view coming in, about 5 miles out and late for work.........10 o clock :lol:

Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
quietman
Junior

Great effort, info, and write up Andy!

Thanks

quietman
www.roenation.com
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote