Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
fishsouthcounty

dana point

Planning on fishing Dana Point tomorrow morning and Monday morning. Now that the bait tank is fixed probably plan on fishing for halibut most of the morning but maybe puttin some time in at the pipe if the halibut arent goin and anyone wants to join me. Probably shooting to be launching about 6 am. Anyone wanna join?
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
WahooUSMA

Be careful out there. Went out today on the boat and it was socked in with fog that never burned off. Off at 4:00 pm - fog and windy...really sucked!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
sasha

Went to esco today the fog what sooo thick that standing on the beach i couldnt see the water. Pulling to the side of the road i had my lights on and my turn signal on and almost had a fool rear end me. Went back home not even got my kayak wet. Could see nothing passed 10meters max.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
paddle man

went out this morning fished between lobster bouys and the beach 1 bass 1 sculpen 2 butts 1 12'' & 1 keeper but lost it fog was so so not that bad
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Amish Ed

I'll be out there on the Pipe on Monday. Launching about 6am. See ya there.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
fishsouthcounty

ya i think im just gonna wait till monday...forgot about a halloween party i have tonight. Ed will you be launching from baby beach???
Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Yeah, I'll be launching from Baby Beach.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
fishsouthcounty

Good deal, i will see you at baby beach around 6
Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
yotasan

dana point

how did it go this morning? were you guys able to make it outside the breakwall? fog?
yotasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
DanaPT

fished the pipe on Weds early am and Sun late am.

Pretty fishy inside the white "no boat" markets. A lot of smaller fish. let's see.... small shark, bat-ray, several juvenile WSB (awesome fish), and a few short butts (biggest about 19 inches).

Water was calm and hanging by the pipe at dark is kind of safe. Most PB'r aren't brave enough to haul through the maze of ropes and floaties near that area. But be prepared anyhow.

Lately, I've been lazy and dropping $10 for bait at the barge. Yesterday the selection was particularly good: FAT chovys and small sardine mix, all about the same size.

I wish I could join you but I think my wife is a bit tired of seeing me coming and going fishing. I need to work.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
PapaDave

DP Sunday

Got out a little late again, 10am, sea was very calm, no wind, foggy and cool all day, water at 63.8 - 64 degrees. Wind picked up around noon. Bait from the barge is pretty good, nice sized chovies and sardines all about the same size, and healthy.

Trolled out to the flag pole and from there to the point, nada. Hit the point for maybe a hali, nada. Wide open on the lizards though, and the spiny dogfish. Trolled back and drifted the beach area for a couple of rakes, one monster hit and run near the wall, and... lizard fish.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
fishsouthcounty

Ya got out there this morning...Met Amish Ed at baby beach and we made it out to the pipe probably about 630 or so. Stuck around what i think Ed said was about the 40-50 ft zone. Unfortunately after a long weekend of partying and me forgetting my water bottle in the car i was hurtin bein out there so called it a day about 10. Was pretty slow either way. Picked up 3 Calicos 1 short, 1 very close, and 1 probably about 15 incher. Fished 5 inch Big Hammers with the Warbait weedless jig heads. Pretty bummed after driving up and having Andy fix my bait tank i go to turn it on while paddling out and it wasnt working. Gonna look at the connections inside the pelican box and get it workin for next time.

Fog wasnt bad at all. Pretty good distance visibility. Definitely a little cold out there though. Rained real lightly for a few minutes. And some dood in a commercial crab boat was claiming that he saw Sea Otters in the kelp at the headlands.

Ed it was good fishin with ya, hope it picked up for you a bit after i left.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Tim, I didn't stay out much longer than you. Finished with 1 short and 1 legal calico and some sort of rockfish. Thought it was a grass bass, but I suck at ID'ing rockfish and I was too lazy to break out the camera. It was chunky, but fought like a starfish. We'll definitely do it again.