Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Which reel? Penn Fathom vs Daiwa Saltist vs Seagate vs ?

This reels going to go on a 30-40# setup for the usual yak fishing suspects - YT, WSB, and Thresher. Mainly will be used for livebait, and also for yo yo iron.

I know the Sealines/Seagates are a favorite here because of there ease of maintenance. I've read good things about the Fathom so I'm leaning that way, but how do they compare as far as maintenance and durability goes?

Which would you get and why?
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

I'd get a Torium. If money is an issue, it's hard to beat a Diawa seagate or sealine.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
oneyedeer

I would go with whats proven...if i was to get a penn i would do a torque...american made the fathom isnt. Looks like people are comparing it to newells and daiwa so why not just buy a daiwa
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedeer View Post
I would go with whats proven...if i was to get a penn i would do a torque...american made the fathom isnt. Looks like people are comparing it to newells and daiwa so why not just buy a daiwa
heres a list of things with avg ebay prices that i see. they are for the size 12-20 reels because i like smaller reels lol. i've included some other reel models in the list to help broaden your choices.

penn torque is a BEAST. with a big price tag ($280)

shimano torium doesn't cast well for me. i've had 3 and i couldnt cast. ($120)
shimano tyrnos is the leverdrag version. not sure about castability ($120)

daiwa sealine is nice. good budget. and my friend made his freespool FOREVER ($100)

avet sx is a nice little reel. i like it because i like smaller reels. and it freespools well. downside: no protection from forcing it to "full".. and breaking off lots of fish due to too tight of a drag. ($140)

okuma cortez has graphite body. never tried it yet but its got decent reviews star drag reel. ($110)

pro gear 251 or 255. solid reels. nice handle. nice castability. star drag ($150)

daiwa saltist star drag (older version, brand new $180).... (newer version $250)

tica seawave 12 is narrow, nice and pretty, massive handle, and has 20lbs for drag for a star drag ($160). i use tica caiman 200 reels and they are awesome. love them to death.

penn fathom has full metal body, INSTANT ANTI REVERSE, and levelwind option. levelwind is your best friend if you're using some kelp cutter and your hands are soft and wrinkly from being in the water for too long. it also makes it a go-to reel when going for rockfish in 200ft of water. ($180)

to be honest, the top 3 picks are diawa sealine, penn fathom, and avet sx. the avet's are awesome once the drags have been greased (they come dry). i've never used a penn fathom. and my friend's sealine that casts for miles.. the drags failed after hooking a 40lb batray. all in all.. the more you spend.. the better your reel. i dont like those penn squidder reels too mcuh because they look old. i like the look of new reels lol.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

forgot to mention okuma titus gold. tough reels. decent price.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Saltist, or Sealine.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

What ever you do don't buy the Bass Pro Shop reels. In the last two years I have bought 3 of their reels that were saltwater grade. 1 froze up after about a year, and I always cleaned this thing inside and out. The other I got this last Christmas and now it won't go into full free spool. I will never buy one of their reels again. Personally I like the Saltist reels

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
dc1983

I just picked up a Penn Squall 15 and a seagate 20 in the last 2 weeks. But I still like the saltist better
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll probably go with the Saltist then. Is the older Saltist better than the new Black Gold one?
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
mtnbykr2

I have an "10 Saltist 20, "my little mule" it's one of my favs, but I do need a good service on it, sounds a little dry, I also have the Sea gate 20 this years model, they stopped making the Saltist, the Sea gate replaced it, both are great with 55-65 # Power Pro, w/ 20-40 carbon top, great set ups
Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Deefeesha

How's that Penn Squall so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1983 View Post
I just picked up a Penn Squall 15 and a seagate 20 in the last 2 weeks. But I still like the saltist better
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
dc1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefeesha View Post
How's that Penn Squall so far?
I have it mounted on a bluewater jigging rod just got them both on Saturday. Fished Dana point on Sunday and it's a nice light combo. The guy at BPS said you could land a YT with it. I found a nice group of sheepheads and it's a nice reel. Very easy to use and I like the magnet knob to stop backlashes.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Saltist 40
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote