Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
hage0429
Junior

OC to LJ tomorrow?

I've been having a lot of fun with the bonito out of Newport lately but want to take another crack at a yellow before the water cools off. Planning on taking the day off tomorrow, heading down to La Jolla Shores absurdly early, and not not leaving until I either find one or run out of water.

Anyone in my direction going to be headed down that wants to carpool or any locals going out that wouldn't mind me tagging along? I'd prefer not to go solo in less familiar waters if I can avoid it.

Cheers!
hage0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
ROSSOLY

How far out of the harbor mouth do you go to get Bonito? I usually stay within the jetty area but would like to venture out a little. no foot pedals just paddle per. thanks.
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
hage0429
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSOLY View Post
How far out of the harbor mouth do you go to get Bonito? I usually stay within the jetty area but would like to venture out a little. no foot pedals just paddle per. thanks.
Not far at all. I'm sure you could catch them right outside the harbor but wouldn't recommend it just for the sake of avoiding boat traffic (wear a life jacket either way). Head to the right toward the pier dragging a small jig or spoon near the surface. Mess with speed and how much line you have out periodically until you figure out what's working. If you have a depth finder 200' would be a reasonable target but don't worry if you're paddling blind, they are all over the place.

I do solo after work trips pretty often, if you're ever able to get on he water around 3-4pm during the week let me know and we can meet up.

Cheers!
hage0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:58 AM   #4
ROSSOLY

Thanks for the info. I usually go out Sat or Mon mornings from Kids Bch but if I can make a pm run, I'll definitely reach out.
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote