Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
Maxfli123

Mexican Navy?

Well hooked up to a nice fish...ended up being a black sea bass, nice little fight and nice little visit from a gunner boat with a Mexican flag waving. Guy aboard told me in broken english that "they doing exercise, you need to go." I show him I'm hooked up, he shrugs his shoulders and points to my north like keep moving. Needless to say I'm not messing with a guy and his 50 cal. I do my best to "drag" the fish with me. Anyway this all happened in front of the oceanside harbor just past the artificial reefs. The best part of the story is I was there all Fricken morning and they pull up around 9 and anchor 500 yards outside of me. Did they not see me there? Huge ocean to do exercises on and they choose that spot where a solo kayaker just happens to be? Anyway got the fish to the surface took a quick floating shot and with my paddle sent him/her back down to be caught again. Why on earth is Mexico doing exercises in front of a US harbor...the whole time I'm just hoping to see some American vessels it was a little weird being surrounded by the Mexican military out there when I wasn't in Mexican waters...hey at least they didn't try and board my kayak right?!! Rant over but in all seriousness I hope they get the fu@k out of the fishing grounds!
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
TheBoyScout

Where do you launch out of? I tried going out of the Oceanside harbor and it looked sketchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
Nismo228
Junior

RIMPAC is going until August 4th.
http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/Pa...x#.V5P08VRHanM
Nismo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Mexican navy in oceanside? I'd give him a number one salute and remind him this is America. Thanks for the heads-up, so we know what b.s. to expect out there. Too bad it wasn't a big tuna that you were hooked up on. Thanks for sharing, cheers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Maxfli123

@theboyscout from kayak dock in the main harbor every once in a while from del Mar ramp but that's rare these days. The dredging has helped the sets from breaking inside the mouth, but yeah a few close calls in the past...as long as there is no small craft advisor up at the harbor police station I'd say it's a go!

@liberty I was baffled they saw me hooked up I must say however that 50 cal is quite intimidating when it's in your direction. I figured the real marines knew about these shenanigans when they cruised in front of del Mar beach real close. I must say I was not comfortable with them flying by me doing circles there were 5 of them total and a decent size navy ship with a helicopter on it. I was close to letting coast guard and harbor police know they were very intimidating but what am I going to do really.

Thanks Nismo I wish they would take their business else where... really dropping 2 anchors, ( the huge cruise ship kind) that close to the reef is quite uncalled for. I think a little etiquette is in order!

Good luck guys!
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
taggermike

Never seen Mexican milliary vessels in US waters before. But seeing as how they are a close allie it makes sense they'd be training with our Navy and Marines. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:34 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Ive been seeing mexican aircraft on camp pendleton for the last two weeks. They let them come up here to train. I guess they were really excited about getting to use the guns on the chopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Mexican navy in oceanside? I'd give him a number one salute and remind him this is America. Thanks for the heads-up, so we know what b.s. to expect out there. Too bad it wasn't a big tuna that you were hooked up on. Thanks for sharing, cheers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Right on! Considering the state of things, I think that I'd give him both barrels.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote