Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
mbaha

Attachment 6374See attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0963.jpg (25.2 KB, 107 views)
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
what is the best way to kill a halibut quickly so it doesn't bite my junk or worse yet, jump back in the water like today?
Being new to the whole "kayak fishing" thing, this made me laugh hysterically! I'm glad nothing truly important went back in the water with that fish...
MrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #23
sixgunn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Maybe this is a noob question, but why do people pull the gills on WSB and YT, but not Halibut?

Seems like gill-pulling would be effective for all fish species.
gill pulling is to bleed them out, but the reason you want to bleed them is as a fish dies, it releases chemicals back into the blood stream. bleed it, no chemicals, better meat.
Some gill rakes can hurt, I always use a pair of dikes to cut them.
sixgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #24
GregAndrew

Mostly it is lactic acid that builds up during the fight that you are trying to get rid of by bleeding.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #25
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Today I finally hooked a nice halibut. 1st good on from my kayak! It freaked out when it saw the net so since I knew that I wanted to keep it I used my gaff and pulled it onto the kayak. The hook came out when I got it on deck. I quickly snapped a photo of dinner and then realized that I needed to kill it. During the FOURTH stab in through the head it freaked out, tried to bite me, and then jumped back in the water and swam away.
I feel like a f#cking idiot!! I've landed plenty of fish in boats and on docks where the fish had no where to go but am new to kayak fishing.
So the question that I should have asked yesterday before I caught it is what is the best way to kill a halibut quickly so it doesn't bite my junk or worse yet, jump back in the water like today? Just to plan ahead this time, maybe I can add the same question for other types of fish too?
Thanks,
Mike
This is the exact reason I carry a net. What I do is net the fish, then you have it stuck where it can't just jump out. Then I grab the game clip and get that secured all while the fish is still in the net, now you have a handle on the fish. Make sure your clip has a rope secured to the Kayak so you don't lose grip, and keep the net under the fish by pinning the handle of the net under you leg. Once the beast is secured on the clip and the net under, I take a sharp knife and cut the throat and let it bleed. I've had great success with this. Sorry to hear of you loss, but congrats on the great catch.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
yani

Bleeding the fish is important. Gills, plus cuts at the base of
the tail that allow the circulatory system to vent--while the fish is
alive--ensuring for complete drainage.

Bleeding a fish allows you to keep your fish in storage longer,
since blood decomposes more quickly than muscle.

PS. Driftwood's the pro, not me!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #27
lamb

Nice halibut!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=6760
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #28
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

One of my first reports on this site was also my first halibut landed on a kayak. Lets start by saying that I was even less prepared then you. Not only did I have no game clip, I had no gaff, net, knife, clue........So I get this 32" butt to color and have no clue how to handle him. I know better then to lip him like a bass, so I slide my hand inside his gills and pull him onto my lap. Im wearin board shorts. He bites down on the soft flesh of my inner thigh about an inch below my coin purse and gives a few head shakes before letting go. I hadacircle of puncture wounds and a dark purple bruise about 4-5"in diameter. Fish didn't get away though. learned my lesion that day.carry gaff, carry rope or game clip,loosen drag, gaff in the gut, secure fish, slide fish in with legs ON TOP OF FISH. Never in your lsp like your about to read it a bedtime story.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
slobslayer

So thats my problem, maybe I'm just too prepared and they know they don't stand a chance ha
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobslayer View Post
So thats my problem, maybe I'm just too prepared and they know they don't stand a chance ha
That could be it, another secret is to light up a smoke, declare in a rather loud tone that its time to call it quits, and reel in every line exept your bait rig then slowly paddle towards the landing. Approximately 8% if the time it fools them every time.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
Cbad Mike

Thanks everyone for your replies. I bought a game clip and read all of the info you posted. THE NEXT ONE IS NOT GETTING AWAY!
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote