Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Piney
Junior

I'm new to electronics, and this forum

I've been fishing from kayaks for over ten years, mainly in the Eastern Sierra (where I live), and central and southern Baja, where I try to get to 3 or so times per year. Up until now I've always kept it real simple, and have had no problem catching fish if there are any around. Now that I finally have a real fishin' boat (OK Prowler Trident), I'm ready to upgrade from looking for birds and boils to using a GPS/fish finder, (cause there's a special little spot to put one on this Trident). I can get a Humminbird 385ci from one of our tackle suppliers up here, and I saw that unit recommended on another recent thread here. I'm not a gearhead or electronic gadget kinda person, I know how to use a compass but know nothing about GPS, would rather be outside fishing than spending a lot of time staring at screens, etc. How quick is the learning curve for these units? I'm fairly handy with tools, can follow good directions, but get nervous about drilling holes in boats. If I get cold feet on installation, can I pay the guys at OEX to install this thing for me on my next trip south? I took an Islander trip two years ago with my daughter and a Malibu Two XL and felt pretty old school around all the tricked-out rides everyone had. Anyone out there with some opinions or scathing comments? Thanks.
Jim
PS: I'm still just saying no to bait!
Piney is offline   Reply With Quote