Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

Love this Place

Being a new Kayak fisherman I'm learning so much I never thought I would learn. I haven't picked up my yak yet, but I am looking at all the rigging that you all have posted up, and videos about what to do and not do. Once I get out on the water I'll be sure to post up reports and offer up any suggestions when I have some.

Thanks guys, you are all great and I look forward to fishing with you all.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Oolie
Headshots Only

:facepalm:
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
deepdvr

Welcome Jimmy. Just in time for some good fishing.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Nic D

welcome Jimmy, im new too
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

I can't wait man. I've been watching a bunch of videos about how to Surf Launch, not much different from surfing, but I'll never know really until I get out there myself.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
young mola

surfing experience definitley helps im somewhat new and have only been thru the surf once made it out fine and i almost got tipped on the way in but with a little wave knowledge i only lost my microlite... tie everything down!!
young mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
taggermike

Greetings Jimmy, thanks for the intro. Watching vids of surf launches might be helpfull but SOT fishing kayaks do not handle like surfboards. At least not the boards or kayaks I have ever had. I'll make one recomendation that has always been VERY help full for me. When you get your kayak, no matter what brand, length, or style, try it out in the surf with out any gear first. Just you, a paddle and hopefully a wet suit. Spend some time paddling in and out through the surf to see how your yak will react to waves at all angles. That way you will get an idea of how your yak will handle in the surf with no expensive "yard sale" to deal with. It will also teach you how to right your yak and get back on it. It surprises me how many people paddle thier yaks in the bay a few times and then head strait to the surf with no knowledge of how thier yak will handle and zero experience at righting or reboarding thier yak. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Dan

Welcome! Here's what not to do!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY-dgiRJGss
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

That was too funny. I love the commentary.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Greetings Jimmy, thanks for the intro. Watching vids of surf launches might be helpfull but SOT fishing kayaks do not handle like surfboards. At least not the boards or kayaks I have ever had. I'll make one recomendation that has always been VERY help full for me. When you get your kayak, no matter what brand, length, or style, try it out in the surf with out any gear first. Just you, a paddle and hopefully a wet suit. Spend some time paddling in and out through the surf to see how your yak will react to waves at all angles. That way you will get an idea of how your yak will handle in the surf with no expensive "yard sale" to deal with. It will also teach you how to right your yak and get back on it. It surprises me how many people paddle thier yaks in the bay a few times and then head strait to the surf with no knowledge of how thier yak will handle and zero experience at righting or reboarding thier yak. Mike
Thank you, I picked up the Yak today and am glad because it does not have any predrilled holes for rods or anything, so I'll be able to set it up for my fishing style. I plan to do exactly as you are recommending. So the question I have is when paddling out do most of you store your electronics in water proof bags and the once you are outside the breakers gear up? Or do you launch with your gear in place but strapped down?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

Welcome Jimmy. Your coffee in the morning will never taste the same. Can't wait to see your reports of trials and tribulations...brings me back.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Thank you, I picked up the Yak today and am glad because it does not have any predrilled holes for rods or anything, so I'll be able to set it up for my fishing style. I plan to do exactly as you are recommending. So the question I have is when paddling out do most of you store your electronics in water proof bags and the once you are outside the breakers gear up? Or do you launch with your gear in place but strapped down?
In the beginning, and for rough surf launches later on, you will want to store/stow yours stuff. After some experience, you will get the hang of when you can launch with your stuff leashed and strapped. I would recommend keeping your stuff stored/stowed for at least twice as many landings as you store/stow it for launches (much more tricky). That is my 1 cent worth anyway.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
In the beginning, and for rough surf launches later on, you will want to store/stow yours stuff. After some experience, you will get the hang of when you can launch with your stuff leashed and strapped. I would recommend keeping your stuff stored/stowed for at least twice as many landings as you store/stow it for launches (much more tricky). That is my 1 cent worth anyway.
Now are you talking about the rods also, or just keep those tethered so they don't bounce out. I plan to go practice one day launching in some calm surf as well as some not so calm so I can get the hang of it.

I will for sure be seeking all the help I can get from all yall. Thanks again for the help so far.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
GregAndrew

The rods are the first thing to break if you roll in the surf and they are sticking straight up out of your kayak. If you don't have inside storage to your yak you might want to think about strapping them down along the surface. There have been several good posts of ways to do it here if you search for them. I have a Rod Pod so I have not given it much thought. The one that I remember was a short piece of pvc pipe for the rod tips at the front of the yak with some type of strap or bungee for the rod butts. You would get better experience based info from Hobie guys probably.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
Jimmyz123

Thank you, that's a good idea about storing them or getting a tube. I'll look into those posts.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
Hypoxic1

Off to a good start

Enjoy the boat Jimmy. Sorry I was unable to meet you the other day. Hope to see you on the water soon.
Chris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Jimmyz123

Thank you Chris, I'm sure we will see each other out on the water sometime. Next time you see this boat it will be rigged up for fishing.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #18
bentrod1

See how easy it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Hilarious! I was on the edge of my seat tense as hell but still lmao waiting for the inevitable only to be let down without seeing them both go in .

Welcome to the site and sport!!
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentrod1 View Post
Hilarious! I was on the edge of my seat tense as hell but still lmao waiting for the inevitable only to be let down without seeing them both go in .

Welcome to the site and sport!!
I'm with you, I thought they were goind to get spilled in. I'm glad to b here, and hope that I can do my part to help others as I grow.