Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Geoffkoop

Hobie vs. Native Propel

I was at the Fred Hall Show and saw the Native Propel...Just curious if anyone out there has one? I saw a video on Youtube and it looked to be faster?

I have a Revo and love it...just curious about thoughts on the Native.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
PAL

I got to play with an Ultimate Propel a few times. Its very different, and quite possibly faster for someone with good leg strength. The gear ratio is... let me relate it to bikes.

If the Hobie's standard pedals are 3rd gear on a 10 speed, and the Turbo fins a 5, the Propel is more like 7th gear. Low cadence, higher effort per revolution, but a greater push. Then again, if you pedal too fast the prop cavitates. Not sure you can overpower a Mirage Drive.

The Propel can stop virtually instantly, and can run in reverse. Its drive is much heavier, built like a tank. Surf launching would be dicey, because its either fully deployed or sticking up on deck. That means the prop and a sharp skeg. An impact... painful!

Different systems, different strengths and weaknesses, but competition is great for the end user. For now, I think the Native system is better suited to East Coast uses than the Hobie, headquartered right here in SoCal. Heck, that goes for all of Native's design philosophy, which shouldn't be surprising.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote