Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Razorback

LJ YT PARTY - 12/15

Joined the aramada @ 05:30 to see if the BWE Boys had left any Jacks for the rest of us.

Launced with a new Yak Bud "Joseph" and paddled out with Skip Jackson to make squid. (lost ya Dave - How did you do?) Easy to find bait - just look for the headlamps.

Live squid was the ticket today. ( All hits off the fresh made VS. none on the frozen. I popped off my first hookup to overzealous lever drag arthritis..... Was able to recover and landed two more - 1 - 29# the other 18#. Offshore winds died down on the paddle back around 10:00.

Many sites and stories that I will let the others tell. Witnessed Pat, Brad and a fellow PB'r on some dilligent CPR work. 8)

Here's a shot of Jospeh with his first YT Yak on the new X-Factor. Nice going on the iron there Bud:

Guess this Mystery Yakker - I am goofing around with my new HP photo software----- He landed a double in the crowd. Nice guy and very good fishing with you today:

Here's my cheeeseball driveway photo (Sorry Andy) - B&W looks cool though:

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Looks like Gabe, congrats, if that is you Gabe, I think we were the only two who got skuked on Tues!! :lol: I hope to get my redemption tomorrow morning! Thanks for the report, I was getting worried the bite turned off! Last night hooping LJ I saw the squid boats working OT!!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Corey

Gabe is my guess, too. Nice job guys! I was supposed to ride down with Gabe this morning, but last night I started coming down with the evil cold/flu that's been going around and figured I should get some rest after 2 days in a row of yt mania. Of course now I'm sitting at home sneezing and wishing that I had come down after all. Maybe manana, but the old lady's gonna kill me! :lol:

get bent,

corey
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
vellocity

woke up at 4am, tried to go but my body's not over this FLU yet..
went back to bed dreaming of YT..

congrats to those today!
some good eating
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
madscientist

I launched around 4:45am to find a couple boats already out there making squid. Went to work but didn't get squat till gray light, then managed a quick dozen on my new super-duper squid jig. Couple gave me the money shot, fricken things. Went to my new favorite spot (the eastern edge of the fleet) and put down a pair of the squirts. A couple rods around me go bendo, then both mine scream. It was either a double or one that tangled the other, but one was quickly cutoff by the other. Fish tore off a lot of line on a long first run, but I was well away from the crowds and no buoys so I let him have his fun and resisted the temptation to button down. Once to color I missed the first chance at gaff and he discovered some pent up energy and took off again. Pat mocked my slow and steady approach. How many did you land again, Mr Holmes?:roll: Took a while but finally stuck the 29lb upgrade fish. Pics to follow.

Helped Gabe with his brute BSB. We couldn't get it to go down but Pat and a PBer eventually helped out with an anchor that seemed to do the trick. Bite died pretty quickly and was not the same carnage as yesterday. Still, a few fish were caught here and there, keeping several of us out longer than we wanted. Around 9:00 there was a small flurry of smaller units (15-20lb class), but overall it was a slower bite today than yesterday. Winding down or taking a full moon breather? Who knows, but its a sure bet to be a zoo again tomorrow, nevermind the weekend. Think I'll take a day off before rejoining the herd, perhaps to target the flatties.

Anybody need some lobster bait? My freezer is packed and I'm too tired to go tonight. Also, has anyone eaten these squid we're catching? They look tasty.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Dennis

Nothing on the iron, guys?

Chris, you still heading out?
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
Surfdad
Junior

The iron pinned with the 99 market squid sucked for me. Gave up on the frozen stuff and around 9am broke out my lucky blue & white Tady and hit paydirt. Fresh YT sashimi this evening, pumped!

[/img]
Surfdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I will be on the beach at 5AM sharp... see ya guys out there!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #9
tattuna

Launched at about 6:30 and joined the party. I was afraid I was too late, but as soon as I got there four guys around me hooked up. 15 minutes later I'm on with the frozen stuff, and it feels BIG! With some help from Matt Moyer (clearing tangled lines) I get the sucker to color only to see it's a (60-70 lb.?) BSB. Swam away on his own strong though. Thanks for all the help Matt!
An hour later I let the good ol b/w Salas 6x jr. sink and about half way down I get smacked, put the reel in gear, start cranking and I'm on. A couple minutes later and I've got my first yak-caught yeller on board. Finally!!!! He must've got a good look at that iron cuz I hooked em right over the eye.
Great friggin day! My biggest fish from the yak and my first yeller. Well worth the trip! Seibler and Adi great meeting you guys!

weighed in at 17 lbs.

Not the prettiest hookset, but I'll take em any way I can get em!

Gabe, Pat, the Mad scientist, another yakker, and a pb'er workin hard to save Gabes 100 lb. ? bsb. Really cool to see that!
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #10
Ryan The Sealion

Nice goin guys.. I needed a day of sleep, but I'll be back out tomorrow...hope it's not too crowded
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #11
kurt

Corey wrote:
Quote:
I was supposed to ride down with Gabe this morning, but last night I started coming down with the evil cold/flu that's been going around and figured I should get some rest after 2 days in a row of yt mania.
That's called yellowtail fever. I think you have the multiple hookup variety. Hopefully I'll catch it on Saturday. Or at least a case of the black sea bass sniffles. Congrats to Tattuna to his first yak YT. Did you give it a tattoo as well as a eyebrow piercing?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
lamb

Great to hear it’s still on. Congrats to all.

Tattuna, big time congrats on your first. There’s not a lot of Adis – this one wasn’t otw today. I wish I was, but I’m still a part of “sick as a dog, hatin’ life for not being able to get out there” squad.

Nelz, Corey, how about we do the daily sessions with hot tea and honey, so we can cry over the daily LJ reports? Anyone else interested?
:cry:
Old 12-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
lamb

Great to hear it’s still on. Congrats to all.

Tattuna, big time congrats on your first. There’s not a lot of Adis – this one wasn’t otw today. I wish I was, but I’m still a part of “sick as a dog, hatin’ life for not being able to get out there” squad.

Nelz, Corey, how about we do the daily sessions with hot tea and honey, so we can cry over the daily LJ reports? Anyone else interested?
:cry:
Old 12-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #14
Hook 1

That's not Gabe. He has The Boat it's called Prowler. It's
on all the wish lists.
I wish I could have take'n the last two days off.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #15
madscientist

Here Adi, this should help you feel better.

Thanks, Pat, for telling me my bandana looked so goofy. I'll remember that next time I'm photobeyatching for you. :P

Here's Gabe getting his ass kicked by the big black.

And here's the big black.

I hope that swell get's here soon to thin out the crowds.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #16
Razorback

WINNER IS:

1 ON THE IRON
1 ON THE SQUID

Nice angling there Gabe.

Awesome BSB Pics.
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:26 PM   #17
gabe

That be me in the pic alright.
Brad thanks for all the help on trying to send tha BSB down. Thanks Pat, Toby and Avery as well.

That BSB really did kick my ass, BIG TIME. I had the drag buttoned down and my arms were burning big time. It was funny to get towed into that boat, get tangled on the anchor line, give my rod to the pber, have him give it back to me and continue fighting that fish.

Shortly after, I had just thrown my jig out, when my bait rod started to load up. I set my jig rod down, thought it was snagged on the bottom, then I realize its a fish. I had a double going. It was interesting manauvering the rods aaround so they wouldn't get tangled. It was deifnately a fun day.

Congrats charles on your first YT.

gabe
gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #18
Hook 1

Dam that is Gabe and way to go. 2 YT and a BSB great job.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #19
Ryan The Sealion

nice!! how big was the black..? hard to tell from that angle...
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:33 AM   #20
madscientist

I'd guess it was in the 60-80lb range, but it's so hard to tell with those things. They always look huge.