Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Mongo Johnson

Surf launch rigging tips needed

I'm going to experiment launching my Revo 13 through the Seal Beach/Palos Verdes area surf.

I'll start with the boat naked to get a feel for it -- just me, the boat and paddle will be able to get loose and take a tumble.

Going forward . . . How do you suggest rigging the Mirage drive, other gear and even a scuba tank for the potential of a surf tumble?

Is it common to lock the drive in, peddles fixed up, with an add-on leash? Is this enogh, or, do you cam lock strap it into the cockpit with a strap all round the hull?

Same for stuff in the rear well . . . in any situation where the boat might rotate, is it feasible to simple just cam lock straps around the hull and gear to keep that stuff in solid?

'Even if it's a scuba tank in the well? Or do you mount a couple of tank straps in the floor of the back well for the tank?
Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
I'm going to experiment launching my Revo 13 through the Seal Beach/Palos Verdes area surf.

I'll start with the boat naked to get a feel for it -- just me, the boat and paddle will be able to get loose and take a tumble.

Going forward . . . How do you suggest rigging the Mirage drive, other gear and even a scuba tank for the potential of a surf tumble?

Is it common to lock the drive in, peddles fixed up, with an add-on leash? Is this enogh, or, do you cam lock strap it into the cockpit with a strap all round the hull?

Same for stuff in the rear well . . . in any situation where the boat might rotate, is it feasible to simple just cam lock straps around the hull and gear to keep that stuff in solid?

'Even if it's a scuba tank in the well? Or do you mount a couple of tank straps in the floor of the back well for the tank?
I think you're thinking a little too heavy duty.

I always launch with my drives in, and use the bungee to keep them in the up position. Once I'm in a foot or so of water I take the bungee off and just wait the surf out. Same for when I land. They can withstand beach launches.

For the scuba tank and other stuff, you can think about attaching Bimini top eye lits to the hull. I use them all over my boat for lashing down my rod leashes and stuff.

Think simple and easy. The more you try to overdue it the bigger pain it becomes.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Mongo Johnson

KISS is a good idea. I've just got newbie worries of a rotating boat and a tank in the surf.

I'm there with ya on simple. The cam straps seemed an easy, but bullet proof way to have a grip for the tank. Kinda a bitch to undo and stay dry, but I've got to slide off the boat to scuba, so they seemed an OK idea.

It's nice hearing the drive may not be a worry.

I suppose a key is not launching at Zuma in a heavy shore break!
Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
KISS is a good idea. I've just got newbie worries of a rotating boat and a tank in the surf.

I'm there with ya on simple. The cam straps seemed an easy, but bullet proof way to have a grip for the tank. Kinda a bitch to undo and stay dry, but I've got to slide off the boat to scuba, so they seemed an OK idea.

It's nice hearing the drive may not be a worry.

I suppose a key is not launching at Zuma in a heavy shore break!
Kayaks are tapered to stay hydrodynamic. Depending on where you wrap the straps, combined with moving forward, being wet and hulls being generally pretty smooth, there is a good chance the straps won't hold when wrapped all the way around. You would need to use ratchet straps or the equivalent which isn't advised since it can jeopardize the integrity of the hull around the scupper areas.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

next time you go to Seal Beach PM me I'll go out with you.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote