Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
farreola

Which fishfinder???

1st time fishfinder buyer. Looking at LOWRANCE Elite-5 CHIRP Fishfinder/Chartplotter with 83/200 + 455/800kHz Transducer, Nav+ Cartography and RAYMARINE Dragonfly 5 Pro Fishfinder/Chartploter with Navionics+Charrts both are prety much the same price at Westmarine Lowrance $30 cheaper with thier $50 rebate. Views, thoughts, opinions
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Autrout
Junior

I bought the Dragonfly. Used it once and liked the image.
Autrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
sandico

Both of these units are pretty good. I have personally always had Lowrance fishfinders and have never been disappointed. I currently have an Elite 5 and it works great as both a chartplotter and fishfinder. The color images really help to define what type of bottom or structure you are seeing. Depending on kayak you are installing it in might also sway your decision.
NOTE: If you have a Kraken you will need to get a different transducer as Raymarine has changed the design and will not fit the transducer scupper. Raymarine will ship you the correct transducer free of charge. If you glue it inside the hull, you can use the one that comes with it.

Kerry
OEX Mission Bay
sandico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
farreola

Thanks Kerry, I will be installing fish finder on an Ocean Big Game II is there anything tricks or tips you may know of on installing a fishfinder on that model?
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I have a Lowrance Elite 5 Chirp installed in April that developed some issues booting up. It would start to turn on for a second or so, then shut down without getting past the name screen.

I called Lowrance today. They were very good with product support. We identified that the problem is in the FF itself, not the battery, wiring, or transducer. They are sending me a new one.

Anything can fail. For me, easy replacement under warranty made me a happy customer.