Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #41
bosco

Bottom Scratcher

Did several dive trips on the Bottom Scratcher. Good Captain and crew. Captain will put on his kilt and play the bagpipes while you get your kayaks ready. They put out a great spread of food also. Comfortable bunks and shower also. bosco
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #42
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

SBI = toad YT.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #43
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
SBI = toad YT.
Since you mention it, who has fished SBI before? I haven't. Still a while out, just trying to get a grasp on what the targets will likely be. Looking forward to the trip.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #44
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Since you mention it, who has fished SBI before? I haven't. Still a while out, just trying to get a grasp on what the targets will likely be. Looking forward to the trip.
I've fished it. Andy has fished it with me before talk to him. You want Fish it like La Jolla. That time of the year it's the same gear and same targets. Take heavy gear, there's big fish and plenty of structure.

SBI can really be very hit and miss, but if it turns on it can be great fishing.

One thing to note is SBI is right in the middle of the cow cod conservation area. That means you can not fish rockfish in over 120 feet of water, and if you have any rockfish on your kayak you can not fish in water over 120 feet period. My suggestion is if you get rockfish and want to keep them immediately go dump them off on the mothership, that way you won't be stuck if Yellows boil up in deeper water.

Be flexible and fish what's biting. That can be Yellows, seabass, halibut or even bass. Maybe I'll try and get my skiff out there and prefish it for you.

One other thing to remember is there are a lot of big sharks around SBI, occasionally whites but more commonly large Makos up to 10ft in the 1000 pound range. That's where the MDR sharkers go to hunt big Makos. June is the month the big ones first come in so you might want to be carefull about bleeding fish and don't let fish just hang over the side. There's a full on huge seal rockery there and the big sharks come in close to eat seals. When I kayak SBI I always try to keep my feet in the yak, and I usually won't swim there. I've just seen too many sharks there to feel comfortable.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-06-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #45
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
I've fished it. Andy has fished it with me before talk to him. You want Fish it like La Jolla. That time of the year it's the same gear and same targets. Take heavy gear, there's big fish and plenty of structure.

SBI can really be very hit and miss, but if it turns on it can be great fishing.

One thing to note is SBI is right in the middle of the cow cod conservation area. That means you can not fish rockfish in over 120 feet of water, and if you have any rockfish on your kayak you can not fish in water over 120 feet period. My suggestion is if you get rockfish and want to keep them immediately go dump them off on the mothership, that way you won't be stuck if Yellows boil up in deeper water.

Be flexible and fish what's biting. That can be Yellows, seabass, halibut or even bass. Maybe I'll try and get my skiff out there and prefish it for you.

One other thing to remember is there are a lot of big sharks around SBI, occasionally whites but more commonly large Makos up to 10ft in the 1000 pound range. That's where the MDR sharkers go to hunt big Makos. June is the month the big ones first come in so you might want to be carefull about bleeding fish and don't let fish just hang over the side. There's a full on huge seal rockery there and the big sharks come in close to eat seals. When I kayak SBI I always try to keep my feet in the yak, and I usually won't swim there. I've just seen too many sharks there to feel comfortable.
Great information. I'm guilty of hanging my feet off the yak every time I go out, I'll have to be cognoscente of that for this trip. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #46
TJones

i am interested

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #47
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
So I hate to say I told you so but.......

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...163352697.html

Monster!!!

I hear he was fishing with Mako Matt who runs his boat out of Huntington Beach, so the idiots in the media are saying they caught off Huntington but the word is they were actually fishing closer to SBI.

SBI get's some BIG Makos!!!

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-05-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #48
Iceman
Administrator

When they said 50 off Huntington I figured they must have been in that area, seal pups galore there, no surprise. my blood red turbo fins went untouched
Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #49
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
When they said 50 off Huntington I figured they must have been in that area, seal pups galore there, no surprise. my blood red turbo fins went untouched
No doubt!! SBI is almost exactly fifty miles from Huntington, and that shark looks like it's just full of seals.

Sounds like You had a great trip. Always wanted to fish the backside from a Kayak, looks like you had a blast.