Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
T Bone

The Ultimate Yardsale

I have been in town working at the Scripps UCSD medical center they are building off Genessee.After work when I can I have been hitting up the PM shift,getting on the water about 3:30 or so and fishing till dusk(or later)During that time I honed my game by paying attention to posts ansking questions and doing my own exploring and experamenting.
During the week of march 15 I hooked and farmed 3 fish ALL the right kind but learned something from each heartbreak.I wasnt able to fish for a while since my boy was back on Chemo last week and I had to get home everyday to take care of my daughter since my wife and son were in the hospital for the week.I also couldnt go the week before since we were kind of on standby waiting for Dylans WBC counts to get high enough to go back in.Anyways all the waiting was driving me nuts.I knew I could get one I just couldnt get out.
I new I would have my chance this week.The forecast for monday sucked but I had a window and had to take it.When I got to the launch,I was pleased to see we could drive on the sand again.I looked out and I was facing a headwind going out with whitecapsOh well.Paddling out into confused seas it took a lot of energy after a full day of carpentry to get to where I wanted to be.Made my macs and got busy looking for a good spot to work.The kelp seemed very scattered and with the high speed wind drifts through kelp openings was the way I worked it.I fished straight Izor spectra with the last 5 feet painted black on one rig and had flouro topshot on another but didnt need it.I got a shortbite and went through a lot of greenies getting stuck in the kelp.
I was working my way back in when I found a good spot to work.I was halfway between the condo and the bouys when I got bit.Some have said that WSB dont put up much of a fight.Dont believe the lies.This thing had huge bucking headshakes that were insane and powerful runs that had the first foot of my rod underwater.The fish had managed to get quite tangled.I said a little prayer and just took my time.I could feel the spectra cutting through the salad or so I thought.After what felt like an eternity(thank God I was using a circle hook with a good hookset in the corner)this gigantic mass of kelp was coming up with a huge white thing in the middle.It stopped coming up about 6 feet under the kayak.I was really trippin for a minute.I just had to be patient.The mass rose and sank with the swell.Finally I was able to get a crappy gaff shot on the belly.I couldnt believe what was on the end of my gaff.I shouted Hallelujah and thanked The Lord Jesus for his bounty.I hoisted the 5' brute into my lap.I was dazed and tired and happy.Earlier I forgot to mention that I got sick and lost my cookies but all that was over now.LJ has given up the Ghost.I paddled back in stoked.
Now the surf wasnt particularly big.It was just a very confused sea.In hindsight of course I should have stowed my rods or had leashes.The fish in my lap hindered me from getting the rods inside,but even that could have been worked out.The fishes head was in my lap and the tail was 2 feet past my 2 feet and off center towards the left because of my FF.While coming things started out well then the yak pearled because of the extra weight in the front.All I could grab for sure was the fish since it was in my lap.I ran him and the yak up to the beach and went back out in the water for my rods.Wait,why is everything so blurry,MY GLASSES!I was screwed now.I felt like Thelma in Scooby Doo.I still used my feet to feel for the rods to no avail....

About this time Josh and a good samaritan whose flashlight I still have come in.they offered what assistance they could but it was pretty hopeless by then.I am hoping one of the rods may turn up since they were my 25-30-40# outfits but I realize I am the one at fault for losing them.The following is what I lost-

Graphite USA 70Mag wrapped black/white/chrome with a silver Avet JX2spd

Shimano Calcutta 825FSA lightweight rollers with avet sx2spd

Shimano tallus rod with daiwa sealine X 30

Anyways,I got a great fish.Bottomed out the 50# spring scale and took quite a little bit to get the spring moving up again.I realize that guys fish for seabas there whole lives and never get one like this.And did I mention it was my first.Thanks Josh for the pix and the help.I didnt catch your friends name but I have his flashlight in my truck.
Attached Images

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Lets_Fish

Wow what an incredible adventure you had. My prays are with you and your family for your son's recovery. Lets hope that the kayak community here finds your lost gear and is returned soon.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Gino

Well earned Fish!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
bellcon

Wow what a story.

Hope all goes well with your son.

Quote:
I shouted Hallelujah and thanked The Lord Jesus for his bounty.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
TheNewGuy81
Junior

nice feesh man.... my prayers are with you and your family..
TheNewGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
blitzburgh

God bless and nice fish!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
cajunman

sorry to hear about your rod loss but thanks for the fishing info. Very nice fish, hope your son is doing ok, as for the rod and reels, well the trench must be full now with all the lost gear. I lost my glasses twice before i became religious about using straps

rich
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
bigbarrels

nice one congrats!
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

Great and sad fish report. I'm very happy for your catch, and that you are safe, but sad for your loss of gear.

My prayers go out to you and your family for all that you are going through.

JimmyZ
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Quilted Germ

Love that your pictures show no sign that you lost ALL of your gear. If nothing shows, I definitely have a rod or two that are serviceable. They are all yours. Can probably throw you a reel too. Just PM me. Take care and God bless.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Dan

great photos -- perfect combo of adrenaline, achievement, and pure joy. Ride that feeling!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
wade

what was the exact day u lost it?

u should get something like a little warf gaff and drag that area asap...

if u find my lil' chopped-sabiki rod with the p.o.s. red daiwa spinning reel hook me up!!!

Good luck & a GREAT read...

PIG
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
steveooo

Nice Fish T! Bummer about your stuff, but I bet the satisfaction of getting a decent fish help take the sting off a little...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
bluesquids

I'll poke around with mask and fins. How many yards West and North from the wooden pilings would you say?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
JoeBeck

Travis, great job on getting yourself the right kind!!! You look stoked in the pictures. I enjoyed reading this story and am sorry to hear about the yard sale, that sucks. I am happy to hear you got time to go out fishing though, that time on the water is special. Mine and Shiloh's prayers continue to go out for Dylan and your family. If you need a Rod and Reel PM me. Won't be as nice as what you lost, but it will do the job.

Last edited by JoeBeck; 04-08-2010 at 02:38 PM.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #16
T Bone

Thanks for all the prayers for my son,we need Gods strength to keep us going right now.

Wow guys I am really stoked to see so many people offer me some gear to keep going.As far as that goes,life goes on and I will be fine.Bought the Avets when times were good a few years ago and they are not really necessary to land bigger models,I landed the c-bass with the sealine 30 and 50# braid.I have a TLD 20/40 that will keep me going.I also still have a single speed sx and a sealine 20.I think I will get another sealine 30 or 40 when I can.
I am still stoked on the fish.I had to fillet it with a crappy knife since I couldnt find my 10" Forschtner.I saved the head to try to get the stones out later.
Just remember,complacency can creep up on you.I NEVER dumped the yak before even in surf twice that size.Stow your stuff.
I wished I could have gotten a good weight on that fish.I was just so thrashed after that that at the moment I didnt care.Its really not that important I suppose.They are out there boys and I will be too probably the week after next with croakies on my glasses and leashes on my few remaining rods.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10

Last edited by T Bone; 04-09-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
T Bone

south of the wooden pilings about 10 yards in about 5 feet water in where I went down.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
lamb

NICE FISH!!

All the best to your boy

Sorry to hear about the yard sale...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
bluesquids

I dove it around 7am, but the damn SUP'ers were right in the main yardsale zone. Might give it another shot tomorrow. My 9yr old boy has some chronic health issues too, it's a tough road for sure, hang in there.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #20
THE DARKHORSE

Sorry for your loss, bro.

I didn't put two and two together with your lack of vision at the time (read delerious after being on the water all day). I should have used your flashlight after you had already scanned the area. It's tough to see rods in the surf at night, but one thing I'm blessed with is good vision. That's an expensive trip with your whole set-up and prescription glasses ta' boot, ouch .

On the other hand, that's a legit trophy my friend. I can vouch for that fish, the pictures do no justice. The girth was impressive. A giant head and tail, with a body to match.

They all look large with the vertical beach shot, even the little thirty pounders. She was over fifty-five, though...without a doubt.