Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #41
GregAndrew

There was certainly some weird weather that day. I was at Hermosa with very little wind all morning. Though there was a small swell coming from the North? Those of you who know how the Bay lays out will understand how strange that is. Must have been the wind swell far outlasting the wind. Wind is the least predictable weather that effects us. As bad as the forcasters are at predicting the rain, they are that much worse with the wind.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #42
yemff

jesus, I never knew fishing county was a thing. Grew up in malibu and maybe saw 10 people fishing on kayaks my entire life, a few off heavens and a few further north, guess times have changed. Certainly never saw people launching at county the countless times I surfed it. But way back when there was a lot more sand and the waves broke further out, would have been a longer, harder paddle out.
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #43
captnblood34

It's glass out there now, conditions rock
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #44
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
My friend lives very close to County Line and this was his text to me on his take of the stupidity...
"i watched it all from the beach...the wind was light until 730 ..then wham!!! 2 (newbies) guys were blown out of thier yaks ..1 guy (seasoned yaker) made it back only to be told he had to abdonon his kayak a few hundred yards from shore and get on jet ski..he paddled 2 hours in wind...had to leave his yak gear and fish ..to the wind..the worst part of the story was that the party boats did nothing to help the guys when the wind came up..."

Come-on guys...check the weather...red flag warnings are always dangerous and bad news up in the Malibu area...being a newbie isn't an excuse for a lack of common sense.

I guess things have changed...in the past if a kayaker (somebody like Jim Day) mentioned a hot bite in Malibu...they were threatened or their vehicle was vandalized...this bite has been going on for about a month and every once in a while a newbie will catch wind of it and make a big deal and blow it up so every knucklehead on the coast wants to "get together to catch their first YELLOWTAIL". There's a lot to be said for the guys that just go catch their fish and eat it without all the BS.
Please ere on the side of safety...just cuz it's your only day off doesn't mean that you have to risk your life for a fish and chum the boards until everyone wants to fish there.
I wonder where that kayak ended up...Santa Cruz Island or San Nick?
was told he had to leave his fish and yak to the wind
WTF?
if he was already almost back to shore
why didn't he just paddle on in
if he was able too?
LG gave me the option once at dume
I paddled in
even if not givin the option
I would'a paddled in
if able

winds were predicted sometime in advance at surfline
not a good day to go out
regardless

Last edited by radastaff; 11-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #45
TJones

Let me get in .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
I'd welcome any guy involved to give some after action comments. AND it'd be nice if no one razzed 'em on the Forum. Even if it's under the "a friend of mine" caveat . . .

We'd all be better getting the benefit of a lesson learned from guys who were there wanting to go out and pushing it a little . . .

One report noted it was quiet in the a.m., so with a little benefit-of-the-doubt, and with "it could happen to anyone" as a watchword . . . I'd hope the experienced guys here would be kind

I get "but really" and I like the trolling lures idea! But, I'd like to hear from those involved.

Like the guy on the LB break wall some time back S$%# happens . . .
Great thread . This comment shows much humility . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #46
TJones

You know darn well,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Hmm....let me see...

Might be a guy that frequents Malibu that hasn't checked in on this thread yet...Also who has a minimum of 6 kayakers in orbit around his kayak at all times....Let me guess...

TJONES....
It wasn't me . Because nobody likes fishing with me . .
Old 11-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #47
TJones

All b.s. Aside.

I had similar experience when I first started kayaking . It was at b.k.r. . Winds supercharged through canyon at 30 - 50 mph . Very similar to county . I was 50 yards off shore and crapping my pants . I flipped in 2-3 ft surf when I landed . My blade of mirage drive touched sand , turned my yak and I rolled . I was paddling and peddling and making very little head wind . This experience humbled me , and I learned after that about checking wheather . The weather is or can be unpredictable . But the this situation was well predicted . Why would you even think of going out there in such conditions ? I woke up for work and was out door at 1:00 am . In the sf valley was was gusting 15 - 30 mph . Peddling in 12 -15 mph is doable , but paddling could be really exhausting . Given the harzardous wheather statement or outlook . Staying home could have saved the taxpayers some money on wasted resources . This would have been the wisest idea .
Old 11-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #48
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
So there's squid in Malibu?
Yep, and giant croaker.

There's light boats in Cardiff too. Probably giant croaker there as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #49
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

I guess I can say I had a similar experience to this. I was shark fishing off the beach and since the spot I was fishing was sheltered by a hotel and some condos I didn't notice how bad the wind had picked up. I Loaded up the yak with a fresh bait and started paddling out, got about 200yrds and the wind hit me and took me out a total if about 500-550yrds in about a minute. I dropped my bait and started paddling in and what had taken me 3-4 minutes to paddle out took over 15 to get back in.