Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
yaky yak

Made the News.

Ok, I know its not really a news worthy story by any stretch of the imagination, its still pretty cool getting my name in the paper.(and not being arrested.)

OUTDOORS REPORT

Kayak fisherman hauls in 110-pound shark, with a little help

By Ed Zieralski, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 at 12:01 a.m.
Fishing has slowed some due to changing seas, but there was a fair bite for yellowtail, white sea bass and thresher sharks off La Jolla last week.
Derek Grant and Pam and Bill Moore, aboard the boat Gut Barge, saw some of the action on Christmas Day. A kayaker, Wade Griffith of Riverside, had been fighting a huge fish for an hour before getting some assistance from Grant and the Moores.
Griffith told Derek Grant’s father, Jim, it was the biggest fish he ever hooked into and he trusted Derek Grant and his crew because he could tell they were knowledgeable and savvy fishermen.
The shark was boat shy and stayed 20 feet under the kayak and 25-foot Skipjack for at least half an hour, according to Jim Grant, who took the report from Griffith. When the fish did surface, Bill Moore, who had just come off a long-range trip in which he caught large yellowfin and a 125-pound grouper, used a flying gaff as Derek Grant gill-gaffed the thresher to get it to the vessel. They also helped Griffith tie the thresher to his kayak.
“The crew of the Gut Barge gave me a Christmas I will remember,” Griffith wrote to Jim Grant in an e-mail. The shark weighed 110 pounds.
Noteworthy
• Those giant squid are continuing to bite near the 9-Mile Bank. Seaforth Sportfishing is offering trips daily leaving at 4 p.m. on the New Seaforth. Squid are ranging from 20 to 50 pounds.
• Anglers need a new California fishing license Jan. 1. Starting next year, anglers don’t have to wear their license anymore.
• Captain Buzz Brizendine is preparing for an early spring bite on yellowtail due to the mild El Niño conditions that are projected for Southern California waters this year. Brizendine, who is on the Pacific Fisheries Management Council, is doing early boat work in preparation. Brizendine just returned from Arizona, where he hunted Mearns quail and then stopped off at Cibola Sportsman’s Club and shot a limit of Canada geese on the Corbett North Ranch. He said storms had chased a lot of geese south.

Last edited by lambadmin; 12-30-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: clean up extra code
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
DESTROYER

Very Cool and congrats...I don't think you needed the whole page though
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
bentrod1

congress-scrutinizes-obamas-afghanistan-plan? What about all the others?

5 minutes of fame from a fellow I.E'er - and it wasn't even drug related!

Congrats
Please not another T-Shark fire storm - Leave him alone Scallywag
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
NextBite

WTG!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
cajunman

you make the news, you gotta buy the beer
that's the rules
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote