Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
kpe42
Junior

Double Hook-up

LJ 6/27/10, First post, personal best, good story (I think). I was just about done for the day, had to make a 3pm wedding...it's going on 12 noon? Had a couple bites on the squid down low, no fish. Last shot here, so I pinned a second bait on one rod and dropped it mid range, re-baited my bottom rig. The bottom rig hooks up and I grab it, fish is heading to the canyon. About that time the second rod goes of, fish heading hard toward the kelp on 20 lb. floro leader....it's getting there too, from 200 yards away! I guy I don't know (Ed, left in photo) was passing near me, called him over, handed off the first rod OK. I picked up my second and it was down to the mono backing (won't be doing that again, all spectra next time). Then I saw a kayaker was struggling with....hey, that's my line!!!! He got it loose, I picked up the slack and was back on and up on the spectra as well. Ed was landing fish #1 with sealions in pursuit! Fish #2 was nearing the boat and took off again, I was sure a seadog had it....but no, it came up to color and was taken cleanly. Ken & Ed 2.....sealions 0. Both went 30ish! I asked Ed how his freezer was, he said "empty", so I asked him to take the YT he landed home. Thanks Ed! Ken
Attached Images

Last edited by kpe42; 07-01-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Date incorrect! sorry
kpe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpe42 View Post
LJ 7/27/10, First post, personal best, good story (I think). I was just about done for the day, had to make a 3pm wedding...it's going on 12 noon? Had a couple bites on the squid down low, no fish. Last shot here, so I pinned a second bait on one rod and dropped it mid range, re-baited my bottom rig. The bottom rig hooks up and I grab it, fish is heading to the canyon. About that time the second rod goes of, fish heading hard toward the kelp on 20 lb. floro leader....it's getting there too, from 200 yards away! I guy I don't know (Ed, left in photo) was passing near me, called him over, handed off the first rod OK. I picked up my second and it was down to the mono backing (won't be doing that again, all spectra next time). Then I saw a kayaker was struggling with....hey, that's my line!!!! He got it loose, I picked up the slack and was back on and up on the spectra as well. Ed was landing fish #1 with sealions in pursuit! Fish #2 was nearing the boat and took off again, I was sure a seadog had it....but no, it came up to color and was taken cleanly. Ken & Ed 2.....sealions 1. Both went 30ish! I asked Ed how his freezer was, he said "empty, so I asked him to take the YT he landed home. Thanks Ed! Ken
cool a first post from the future!

props on donations.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
kpe42
Junior

Oops!

6/27
Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
j mo

j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Oolie
Headshots Only

i'm worried about the 200 yards thing, why was the drag so loose?
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
kpe42
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
light tackle, 20 lb. line....and I was busy. That's all I got.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Geoffkoop

Good work guys! I was the one on the beach that took the photo. I was on my way back from my 5 year anniversary stay and wanted to show my wife where we fish....we pulled up and saw those bad boys.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
kpe42
Junior

Thanks for that Geoff......And sorry for the edits guys, posting was new and exciting for me, just didn't catch the mistakes. Ken
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
WahooUSMA

Nice job!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
ken aguilar

Fantastic. congrats
ken aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
cajunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
The loose drag is none of yuour business, take the time to congratulate him instead!!

Nice job and great story of helping and sharing after

rich
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
Regor
Greg

GREAT day for the two of you!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman View Post
The loose drag is none of yuour business, take the time to congratulate him instead!!

Nice job and great story of helping and sharing after

rich
just like Oolie's comment is none of your business, you could mind your own business the same. The comment wasn't mean nor derogatory. Leave the moderating to the moderators.

Cajunman, great story man. So one question, did you make it to the wedding on time?
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
-scallywag-
Banned

SWEAT !!!!

It was fun fishing with you guys! and way to handle the double hook-up.

Those fish where much bigger than they look in the shore pic.

And come on guy's don't be too hard on them, I was there too and that mid-day school was full of pissed off above avarge fish.....I went 1/3 on that shool, fishing #40mono on the heavy iron.

First fish drug me peddling and screeming into the kelp.

Second fish same story but I buttoned down the drag before he got there and ended up breaking off 2 tines on a 6xjr.

Third fish? - when I get the pics resized I'll post my new PB YT!

Between the 5-6 yaks and one skiff in the area I think we went about 4-12....even the skiff was getting drug into the kelp, after loosing thier 2nd fish, they tried fighting the fish with the motor....and they still lost it!

P.S. I think we where more like 100yrds away from the kelp.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
kpe42
Junior

Answers

Thanks all, yes it was a nice mid-day bite. Several lost fish, so I feel really lucky. I'd rather understate size than overstate. And Yes, I made the wedding. Had to ice the the fish until monday after work though. Cleaned and smoked some, cut the rest up for a fish taco fry this weekend. Lastly, no offence taken on the "loose drag" post. And it wasn't that loose, just a strong fish on light tackle. Truth is, I aready lost one on that rod due to tight drag....just playing it safe.....which I usually do. Ken

Last edited by kpe42; 07-01-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: more good info
Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #16
StinkyMatt

Nice fish! Giving your "new" buddy that YT, sweet! We need more "nice" guys like you out there!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
cajunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios View Post
just like Oolie's comment is none of your business, you could mind your own business the same. The comment wasn't mean nor derogatory. Leave the moderating to the moderators.

Cajunman, great story man. So one question, did you make it to the wedding on time?
maybe you r right, but i found it frustrating to see the "drag" reply to such a great story of catching and sharing
my apologies
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Nic D

No hard feelings Cajunman, and you are right about keeping this thing positive. This is a great forum and i'm sure we both don't want this place to turn into another bdecks.

Have a great 4th!
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #19
Geoffkoop

Oh yeah by the way, those fish were much larger than the pic shows! Seems like that always happens.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote