Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Amish Ed

very slow today

Last week seemed slow today was slow. Launched from the ramp about 7am and went straight to the pipe. Offshores were blowing pretty good and it was kinda cold. The wind chop was up and the water felt about 58º.

Started in 50' and drifted out to about 58' did this drift for a while, then tried in shallower. Took 1.5oz to get to the bottom and stay there. For the first 3hrs I had 2 whole fish. At least they were decent sized, one sandy and one calico. The last hour I got 3 more bass and a sculpin. Then the onshores started going pretty good and called it a day at 11:15 and headed home. Really slow today, I mean I farmed one and had maybe 5 other bites that I missed. Tried almost every color I have and the fish just did not want to play. The only colors to get bit today were Redfish, Gold Chovy, and Sea Food. 3" or 4" didn't seem to matter. Everything had Hot Sauce on it. The funny thing was that usually I don't meter many fish, but today I saw lots.

BTW, tons of cormorants out today, but no pelicans. One seal lion and that was it for wildlife. Well hopefully next week is better.

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/IQP*Cftg9TRBqtJJPwgXqlOCAvuOviPSrdWy4GZHm9CLRXVhjc Vgi*NSmBIo2fgYch3dyRiPkXFFTfqkGZMcqd1LjU46PuaB/100_0207.JPG[/IMG]
Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Nice checker! Thanks for the report.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
HatterasCast

Yup it was tough out there today. I got a late start and was hitting the water with 3 other guys at 1030-1100ish.... Paddled out and made some bait which was tough to come by... While bait-making the wind really picked up and the waves and current were too much for me too handle. I tried soaking a live one for about 30 minutes before I felt that the waves coming over the bow and stern were enough. I tossed the rest of my baits from the tank and reeled/released the 2 that were soaking. Paddled in and got to ride some nice surf into the beach. When I got there, there was about 8 more guys that called it quits (due to the weather/sea condition and slow fishing)....

Today was a success for me though... First time out on my yak in the Ocean. First beach launch and first "whitewater" surf landing. I didnt flip, I didnt lose any gear... I think I pulled off looking like I knew what I was doing.

And since I made bait... I didnt get skunked! (That counts right?? )
HatterasCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Where did you guys launch from? South of Doheny?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks for the report Ed. I love how your "slow day" produces 6 quality fish. Some would say thats doing pretty good. Where can I pick up this hot sauce? Id like to give it a try.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Amish Ed

You should be able to get Hot Sauce at any big tackle shop. Or go to http://www.attackleshack.com/.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
NextBite

Thanks for the report Ed
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
HatterasCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Where did you guys launch from? South of Doheny?
I launched from the public launch at La Jolla... I guess Ed fished somewhere else. So for the confusion, my error.
HatterasCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Amish Ed

I forgot to put the Pipe at Dana Pt. My bad.