Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #21
OEX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
That looks really nice...& fast. I want one too.

Brent, on the other hand, looks like he drank too much last night.
Drinking all day in the Booth

Going out with the gang and drinking mucho more

Getting up at 4:30am to be on TV

NOT PRICELESS
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #22
DESTROYER

Seriously Brad, I'm always stoked to see Kayak Manufactures do better things with the boats we fish on....That's a good looking boat! Obviously I'm a little bias on what I like. Knock on wood, I never stow my gear and I have never crashed nor lost anything in the surf. I have however flipped while fishing for bass up in Dana, boy was that an expesive flip ! I'm still waiting for the first kayak company to come out with a center console equiped with outriggers and down riggers and a sick T-Top!

Brent- Why do you have waders on in that little pool? You must of had a few too many .

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
aguachico

Looks like a cool yak Andy. Next step will be to make 2 feet longer and put a hatch behind the seat.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #24
madscientist

No sweat Matt. Tyler and I were discussing it this morning. When you get down to it, there's only so many ways to make a 13ft yak. Not surprising the solutions converge.

But the one thing that will be hard for me to leave in the extreme is the surf handling. Once you figure out that you are not trying to surf, you are trying to land, it's a great boat. Day in, day out, Baja or otherwise, that boat gets me on the beach dry while friends in other boats take the occasional bath (or panga ride).
Old 03-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #25
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Geesh, you make a decision to leave your kayak a couple times (baja) in 300 landings and you never hear the end of it... Still batting .996, good enough for me...!

Just bought a kelp carrot at OEX today.... looked at the "camanche guns," for my reef use, but I am waiting for a seasniper...

These guns are a work of art!!!

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 03-08-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added (baja) suckas!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #26
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
Looks like a cool yak Andy. Next step will be to make 2 feet longer and put a hatch behind the seat.
Bingo.

I think if you are skilled in surf handling and timing any of the main boats will get you to shore upright. When I dumped it in baja last year, it was totally preventable. Operator error, not because my boat sucks.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #27
keljad

I want one!!

James

keljad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #28
scwafish

More pics please! Layout, bottom etc...help a brother out!!!
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #29
Zed
BANNED

I like the hull (I paddle a P13).
I don't like the bow hatch area.

And since I paddle the hull already, the hatch would keep me from the 'bu at this point.
What do you do with that hatch area, anyway? Too small for a big fish. Maybe a mess of rockfish? My wheels and drygear would never fit in there. The scupper is cool to drain out that compartment, but I would want it watertight most of the time, I think.

I'm in the "never stow rods" camp, too, but it sure is nice to be able to have the ability to stow it all if you want/have to go banzai through some serious surf that picked up while you were out.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #30
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

Maybe a step forward, with the more experienced angler in mind. I'm a little baffled by anglers who never learn to "surf" their kayak and choose to prepare for the worst instead. I personally don't stow or leash any of my rods and have never flipped while landing in ten years now. I've been considering a couple of "faster" kayaks for the sole purpose of chasing "bird schools" and what lies below (W,S, Tarpon 16 and O,K, Trident, and Hobie come to mind) Anyone with experience in this style of kayak-fishing will confirm the importance of capitalizing on the "one shot" you get. This kayak looks like another strong link in the chain from the company that has a lock on the kayak fishing industry. What to do with so many great options?

I'm not baffled that people dont ALL have the same skill sets. Not too complex. Thats just how the world is. Kudos to you for having a perfect record. /bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #31
Grego

Talking to Sean (the owner of MK), there's a "want" in the middle and on the other side of the nation for a front hatch like that. Why? I dunno...perfect for redfish, flounder, and speckled trout maybe? There's a large market outside of SoCal, and will probably become larger than ours if it isn't already with some of our waters getting knocked off by the MLPA. So being an MK guy, I hope it's successful for all types of markets, not just in our little world.

Whenever I see a kayak I look at it's potential to be what I want it to be, there isn't a stock yak out there that is good enough for me. Kind of like my trucks, always have to add and modify to make it mine, that's one of the reasons I enjoy kayak fishing, modifying my yak to fit "Me", who gives an 'F' about the rest of you!lol

There's a work around for everything, I like to stow my rod/reels inside my hull whether I'm landing at LJ or areas with surf because they cost a lot of $$ and I don't like sand in my chit. Andy and I were both looking at ways of making a template to make a cut through the back wall to let the rods thru, no different than cutting holes for wherever you want your flush mount rod holders. I already have an idea drawn out that's going to make it a custom rod holder when I'm done.

And then....your going to find freaks like Cabo and Tman who upon first site fell in love with the front hatch because all they see are visions of filling the whole front hatch with ice and beer like it's there personal F'n cooler!!

I don't know if I'll like the drain hole or not, if I don't I'll plug it up like other guys do now with none other than....a Scupper Plug! Who was the genius who thought of plugging a hole that was deliberately made?

I'm looking forward to modifying my yak
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #32
JrBasser

wow that looks just like a prowler! Looks like a fast ride though. What is it, a dry Malibu version of a great boat? Those sea sniper guns are amazing too. Not sure if free diving is soon to be a hobby of mine, I havn't quite decided.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #33
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
I'm not baffled that people dont ALL have the same skill sets. Not too complex. Thats just how the world is. Kudos to you for having a perfect record. /bing
I also feel it's not "too complex" to read a sentence without taking it out of context ("I'm a little baffled by anglers who never learn to "surf" their kayak and choose to prepare for the worst instead"). Then again "people don't all have the same skill sets" as you mentioned. For anyone with the ability to "chew gum and walk" or "read" could learn something from this simple statement. Maybe it's a good idea to learn to handle my kayak with confidence instead of always preparing for the worst.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #34
Bighead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
Talking to Sean (the owner of MK), there's a "want" in the middle and on the other side of the nation for a front hatch like that. Why? I dunno...perfect for redfish, flounder, and speckled trout maybe? There's a large market outside of SoCal, and will probably become larger than ours if it isn't already with some of our waters getting knocked off by the MLPA. So being an MK guy, I hope it's successful for all types of markets, not just in our little world.
Hey guys...my first post here, but this caught my attention.

I'm one of those guys from the rest of the world outside of California.

I grew up in New Orleans, doing a lot of coastal fishing for reds, specks, and flounder, and I now live in Katy, TX, and sell Malibu Kayaks for Dixie Kayaks in the Houston Area.

The two markets that I service have drastically different needs in a boat, even though we're generally going after the same species...jsut different types of fishing.

That being said...Kayak fishing is EXPLODING in Texas, and is in its infancy in Louisiana...but it's not going to do anything but get bigger. I am used to getting strange looks from power boaters, but they usually shut it when I haul up a stringer of reds, specks, and flounder, or they see me getting a 'cajun sleigh ride' from a big red.

I learned about the guys wanting to shut you guys out of the beaches, and well...we have a way for dealing with folks like that in Louisiana...it involves a long ride out into the coastal marsh...I'll leave the rest of it to you to figure out.

If you Westies make it out to Houston/Galveston...holler at me...we've got a GREAT group of guys that love to fish and go out looking for sharks, tarpon, big bull reds (20-50 lbs) and black drum (20-50 lbs), as well as going inshore and what not.

Bighead
Bighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #35
Jim Sammons LJKF

Hey Andy, fun hanging with you guys in the booth and seeing the new boat.
Had a great time at the show, as always great to see old friends as well as put more faces to names from the forums. I was able to conduct some business while up there, so those that do not already know about it, we have an awesome announcement to make very soon. We are very excited

On another note, to the looser that stole one of my rods out of the booth on Sunday. I hope you hook the fish of a lifetime with it, only to have the hook pull when the fish is just out of reach, propelling the large jig straight into your eye.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
landwhale

To me you need to paddle a new boat before you can tell if any of the rest of the layout will work for you. Today I stopped by Andys shop and took the camo X 13 for a test paddle. The new kayak paddles effortlessly the tracking is excellent, stability for a 250lber was as good as any other kayak I have paddled, access to the rear well was easy due to the improved stability of the new design. The seating area and leg area are the best of all the Malibu's so far. The seat area and footwells sucked up water through the scuppers as I paddled and drained fast. I found the kayak to drift the wind and current extremely well and for you bay fishermen back paddling in the X 13 was a breeze strait and easy. I am very impressed with the X 13 and am looking forward to trying it in the surf, wakes and open ocean. Nice going Sean

Last edited by landwhale; 03-13-2008 at 03:42 AM.
landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #37
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
...so those that do not already know about it, we have an awesome announcement to make very soon. We are very excited ...
Who's we?

What kind of teaser is that? Are you talking a new kayak design, LJ Kayak Fishing?
Ocean Kayak? Did you and Andy hook up??
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #38
Jim Sammons LJKF

We as in several guys I am working with on a new endevour.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #39
wavster

Thanks for the insight. It's all clearer now...

I'm just bustin' your chops, you know.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:42 AM   #40
landwhale

endevour? is that the name of the new product

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote