Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
clayfish

San Elijo State Beach

I am camping at San Elijo State Beach in late March, can I launch a kayak from there? Is fishing any good up there? Thank you in advance.
clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Dan

If the swell is down, find a channel between the surf spots along the campground. If you're close to the north end, there is a ramp, with an launch towards swamis.

If you want to hit the south end, and the surf is a bit tricky, launching south of Cardiff Reef, in front of the restaurants has a protective sandbar that is generally really easy.

Kelp is thick, and is pretty much contiguous from the south end all the way up to swamis up past boneyards.

If it were me, I'd work the entire kelp edge with a pair of greenbacks.

Decent calico fishing and a legit shot a good flatty and maybe a WSB. Live bait is never a problem out there.

Good luck.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Adam

The beach is exposed, you will have to be the judge about launching. There is a channel in front of the restraunts just south of the campground (in front of the charthouse). It is usually best to launch and land through the channel. There are halibut and bass. I have caught short white sea bass there but never legal size. Rarely, there are yellowtail, I've only caught them there in summer. Halibut often lurk very close to the beach there so if the surf is small, you may do well on the inside. I haven't been out there for a while and don't know how it has been. Lots of reef and kelp to explore. Good luck!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
PescadorPete

As Adam said, if there is any kind of surf, I find the best place to launch is behind Charlie's restaurant (just north of the Chart House). If you are camping, then you can park in the Cardiff State Beach parking lot right next to the restaurants for no extra $. Short haul to the surf and short paddle to the kelp. I usually work outside the kelp north to Swami's and then inside the kelp back south. If it still lobster season and the traps are still out there, the buoys mark areas of good structure. I was out a couple of weeks ago - lots of nice sized sandies, a few calicos but not much else.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
mars

I launched at Cardiff yesterday. As most have pointed out, the best place to launch if there is any surf is the channel just south of the reef (between Charlie's and the main peak (South Peak). It's definitely a different launch situation than LJ. Surf was a bit precarious yesterday but, as this is my main launch point, I'm used to it - in and out without incident.

As for fish, plenty of bass, halibut, rockfish and all the rest of the usual suspects. I've seen the local divers with BIG WSB, though I've only caught shorts there. I've also seen 40# halibut as well as decent YT (during the warmer months).

The kelp is back in full force and you have several miles of coast to fish - kelp and other structure between Seaside and Swamis.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
clayfish

Appreciate your replies

Thanks all for a quick response. Yes I'll be camping at San

Elijo and look forward to a good launch, especially for my wife (first time on/ in the ocean for her).
clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
wavster

I'd suggest stowing your rods or at least leashing them and everything
else when launching from an open ocean spot like Cardiff.
Sets can sneak in before you make it past the break (or when
landing)...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
bellcon

i camp at San Elijho many times during the year...my advice?
take wavsters advice...
stow and or leash everthing you want to keep!!

wifes first time on a yak?, no experience thru surf?
you might want to try no rods and reels first
just play in the surf, get a feel for the yaks
also pick you spot coming in carefully...lots of drop offs between those rocks, ouch
was there about a month ago and a guy in a fish and dive missed timed everything, i have never seen a yak pearl that bad, he went completely verticle, and just before the giant forward flip he came slamming back down (upon closer inspection he had some huge homemade outriggers, that saved his azz)
have a blast, share your adventure when you get home

p.s dana point is about 45-50 minutes up the road and is an easy launch from inside or launching at doheny state beach
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
I'd suggest stowing your rods or at least leashing them and everything
else when launching from an open ocean spot like Cardiff.
Sets can sneak in before you make it past the break (or when
landing)...
Yep – last week I punched through a small waist-high set and was “in the clear” when I saw a head-high clean-up set stacking on the outside. Fortunately, the tide was high and the surf was mushy so it didn’t break on me. Almost went home to trade the yak for the board.

I always store my gear if there’s any surf at all, especially when landing. And when I don’t store gear, I at least leash down the rods, even in the ankle-slappers at LJ.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
h2ofishfo

launched right infront of the campgrounds last july huge sets there & almost impossible 2 time at the day had to jump off at about 5 ft just 2 avoid flipping it but its a short paddle made bait qiuck....its not a renound surfing spot for nuttn
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
wavster

It's where I took my Trident on its maiden open ocean launch (excluding LJ).
Definitely needed to store the rods, due to the sets coming in. I didn't flip
nor did I have to bail, but timing is everything and you will get wet.

Beginners may have some difficulty at this spot...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote