Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Minix008

alamitos bay

Is there any good fishing around alamitos bay, if so for what and what is the bait of choice?

Nick

where can i make bait
Minix008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Corey

There can be good fishing for spotted bay bass & halibut in Alamitos bay. As far as lures go, small swimbaits & grubs work well as do crankbaits & sometimes spinnerbaits when the bass are aggressive. As for making bait around there, you can probably find some smelt & catch them w/ a small sabiki. www.baytubers.com is a good site for your neck of the woods, lots of good halibut info for the OC, LB, LA areas on there.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Minix008

thans

Thanks , sounds good, im going to target the halibut this weekened and break in my minix, i appreciate the hit.. Hopefully soon i can head down to la jolla, or some other good spots. Can you recomend any other bays around my area.

Nick
Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Minix008

launching

where would i go to launch in alamitos bay? is there any restrictions to fishing the bay
Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Corey

Try Huntington Harbor. You can launch from the small beach by OEX in Sunset Beach, or off the free parking lot on countess st. is closer to the good fishing. There is good fishing for bay bass & halibut there, better than Alamitos in my opinion. Same stuff works there & you can usually find some smelt if you look around, although I usually just fished artificials & caught alot of halibut that way. Troll a crankbait while you cover ground & you will pick up alot of fish that way in HH.

Long Beach Harbor holds alot of halibut too, bigger ones. There are lots of launch options there, but I think most launch off Cherry St. & make smelt by the pier.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Minix008

sounds good, ill be trying these spots soon

Thanks a lot ill be trying out these spots asap, i pick up my yak wed from Sunset so when friday hits ill be out there hopefully hung on a butt'
Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
mg2969

Alamitos bay seems pretty dead until the water warms up.

Huntingon Harbor is a great place like Corey says. Countess is a nice place to launch.

LB harbor, Cherry beach - pay parking only, claremont beach (aka the catamaran launch) - pay parking as well as on the street parking, and its only 2 blocks from alamitos bay so if you change your mind there it is.
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Minix008

sounds good

LOoks like ill be hitting HH this friday or sat, thanks for the info

Nick
Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
T-Rex

With a mini-x you could launch in Alamitos Bay at 61st place, or a few blocks south depending on parking. As Corey said, crankbaits or small plastics are usually pretty good for bass and halibut. Ghost shrimp, innkeeper worms, blood worms and mussels can be pretty productive for corbina, perch, & turbot, but be prepared for a lot of white croaker bycatch.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote