Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
sbsyncro

Easy beach launches (or breakwaters) near Carlsbad?

I"m an avid yak fisher (and yak surfer) from up in Santa Barbara, and I now have a long-term client down in Carlsbad. Basically, I'm here three days a week from now through June, so I bought a cheapie kayak on Craigslist (a Mainstream "Tropic") and want to try to find a place nearby where I can sneak off for some evening fishing sessions.

I went out off Carlsbad State Beach the other night, and I can honestly say there is no way I would have attempted that with ANY fishing gear. I was longing for thigh straps as I got tossed repeatedly from the little 'yak!

(In fact I just ordered some straps and a new paddle from Austin Kayak to keep down here in my office with the yak during the week).

My question is - are there any good mellow spots within a 15-30 minute drive of Carlsbad that would be good for late afternoon/evening fishing and just general fitness paddling? I definitely know now where I'll be going to surf when I get my thigh straps installed, but hoping for something a little more relaxing when I have a fishing rod on my lap...

Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

LaJolla.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
wavster

Cardiff, a little to the south may be your best bet within the 15 minute limit.
It's not always easy, but there is some kelp out there that holds some fish.
Oceanside may be another choice, as you could launch from the harbor.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Dan

IMO Skip O'side. Cardiff kelp is good, but for the times that I've fished both, Cbad and Cardiff, they're basically the same.

Carlsbad kelp is a good option. Best launches are from north side of the Powerplant outflow jetties (aka warm water jetties). Or, anywhere that looks doable in front of the powerplant, on south to the stairs at the south end of the houses. Lots of yak surfers (speed bumps ) on the south side of the ww jetties in the mornings, esp. on the weekend.

From there, it's a 5 minute paddle to the kelp.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
sbsyncro

Perfect. So I'm assuming the 4-6' shore break I saw in front of the WW jetties last night is not normal, then? lol.

I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn right down Carlsbad Blvd (PCH) from there, so it would be super convenient. It looks like there are some little goat paths that lead down to the water... I've seen the kelp out there and I must say it looks very tempting in the morning light. nice to know there are some fish there, too. I'll just be throwing plastics since I won't have any room for gear of any kind - I'll probably be literally lying the rod on my lap as I paddle around.

Now, the next question is how to lay my hands on a rod/reel combo - anyone got anything for sale up near Carlsbad?
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

yeAH DUDE LAUNCHED FROM CARLSBAD BFOR W/GEAR NOT FOR A AVERAGE YAKER FOR SURE HIT MISSION BAY,LAJOLLA OR SD BAY
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
PescadorPete

Cardiff can be the most "mellow" of the launch areas, if you can call it that, but it is still challenging on many days. Waist high is okay but when it gets to head high, I have to think twice about it. It looks like that yak of yours has no internal storage. You'll need a way to lash the rod/reel for the ride in. Maybe a dry bag for your tackle box. I always assume I'm going to dump on the way in and store my gear below deck. It's just part of fishing in North County. Maybe a cheap stick and jigmaster from Craig's list. I see them all the time. I'd add kroc spoons to the tackle box. Some days, the bass just want to bite the metal. Have fun out there!
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote