Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
SHRED

Storing an Outback

With little room in my garage I was wondering if it's okay to store an Outback on its scupper wheels with a foam pad under the nose?
SHRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
paddle man

THEY SAY NOT TO LONG USEING SCUPPER TYPE CARTS I STORE MINE ON POOL NODDLES I FOUND REAL THICK ONES AND LAY THEM DOWN THE RUNNERS
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
summers in kuwait

Hobie's recommendations:

Storing Your Kayak
IMPORTANT: Do NOT hang your kayak from the bow and stern handles. These handles are designed for carrying the kayak, not for hanging for long periods of time. The plastic will slowly stretch over time and possibly even eventually fail which will create a hole. When storing your kayak, it is important to be sure that it is well supported.

On the Ground or a Rack

You can store your kayak upside down resting on two crossbars. The rails of the kayak are very stiff and can support the weight easily. Padded crossbars will reduce the chance of any scratches or marks on the rails.

If you must store it right side up, use cradles or something that is shaped to the contour of the hull. It the kayak is resting right side up with little to no support, this puts the entire weight of the kayak on one point on the bottom and possibly cause a flat area to develop. We do offer custom molded cradles for the Adventure Island and the Pro Angler.

Hanging

If you plan on hanging your kayak from a ceiling, a minimum of one inch webbed strapping should be used to spread the load of the kayak over more area. Using rope to support is may leave dents in the rails, especially in the heavier kayaks. Best if stored upside down with the strap loads on the stiff cockpit rails.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
NICKWORN

One car garage

I store mine like this and live in Santee, nuff said these things are tanks, I've noticed the slightest indentation( very small ) where the kayak rest on the hanger. This is obviously not my Outback but I do store mine here!

I got the hangers from Home Depot, used lags into the studs, reinforced the hangers with 2x4 cut to fit the wall as supports in absence, back all at a 90' angle to give leverage on the bottom part of the hanger! Very very sturdy and wife can still pull her Jeep Cherokee in with no problem!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0258.jpg (24.9 KB, 107 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote