Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #21
jrip
Water dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRED View Post
I gotta do something.
I'd hate to ruin a fishing trip or worse by wrenching my back.
I got a Malone trailer and wouldn't go back to car-top. It's just easier to load.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #22
steve999

The hullacator requires you to lift the whole kayak to belly height. The Yakima boat loader requires you lift one half the kayak over your head, but you do it twice.

Not clear that one method is any easier than the other. Try lifting half of your kayak over head or the whole kayak belly high, just like they do in the youtube videos, and decide for yourself.

If your lifting using the boat loader, you put a folded towel or knobby door mat under one end of the kayak when you lift the other end. Then it won't slide or scratch.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #23
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
If your lifting using the boat loader, you put a folded towel or knobby door mat under one end of the kayak when you lift the other end. Then it won't slide or scratch.

Good tip. Wish I had thought about it.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #24
TJones

Got harbor freight trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I have a similar dilemma.
Trident Prowler 15 gets to be a handful when loading after a day on the water.

Here is something you might want to consider.
It's called Rhino Rack. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSeHSCfHniQ

Good luck. Regards.

-JJ-
But was looking for other transportation options for longer trips. 55 speed limit is slowwwww. So I got the rhino load assist but I can not give a review yet because the Thule dock glide saddles I ordered are giving me install trouble with factory rack on a 4-runner. Maybe I will do a return and try Yakima? Any recommendations for saddles on a 2013 4-runner? I currently own an outback and also 2017 trident 15. The trident is a beast and topping it by self after a long day will probably lead to injury of self or vehicle.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #25
IslanderFishing

I have a Rhino Rack T Loader. It's never been used and still in the box. I'm willing to let it go for $200. PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IslanderFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #26
SHRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrip View Post
I got a Malone trailer and wouldn't go back to car-top. It's just easier to load.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
That is a good option. Those are nice trailers. I had one for my PA.
I cant use a trailer for travel though. My RV tows the CRV with the kayaks on top of the CRV.
SHRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #27
SHRED

This unit looks good

It looks like it's quickly removeable to attach to the other side if need be for two kayak loading.

http://www.rhinorack.com/products/sp...de-loader_rusl
SHRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #28
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I like the idea of a small trailer too. Doubles as a wash rack and storage rack. Wheel it around like a dolly. Everything is thigh high and easily accessible.

Use a couple of parallel PVC pipes as convenient hull sliders the way Kirk Davis did in his picture above.

Possible side tubes or long, lidded plywood boxes for stowing/locking poles and other gear that is inconvenient for a small car interior.

I had an old, small 4'x4'x1' deep box trailer from Sears once for carrying folded display panels to art shows & trade shows behind my VW Bug. Disconnected from my VW, and wheeled it right in to my booth. That would have been an oh-so-easy conversion with top tube hull sliders and compartmentalized storage inside the 1' deep box part of the trailer.

The tongue would have to be lengthened for a kayak.

Another interesting thought would be to build a set of street worthy wheels with a long lightweight tongue from steel tubing that fits in the scupper holes the way kayak cart wheels pop in. The kayak itself becomes the trailer. Maybe a couple of scrap front motorcycle wheels on a fabricated "Scupper-T"? Sounds like a fun day at a motorcycle swap meet to scrounge the parts. If your car lights are visible, I would skip the wiring altogether for a red flag on the back.

Just a thought. Lightweight motorbikes are safe and stable on the freeway, so why not? I think I would defer to Kirk for sound mechanical engineering. If the rig was light enough, it might replace overpriced deluxe Hobie wheels altogether, and deliver your kayak right into the water

Regarding your own particular travel needs, is the RV you are referring to a motorhome? That would offer some interesting space to work with too.

Pondering all of the above, I think my next vehicle will be a MB Sprinter, 4WD. I'll add a small portable toilet, portable pump shower, and re-register as a motorhome. They are 20' long and my kayak will slide in the back as easily as it does now into my 20' Chevy Express passenger van with the seats removed.

Too many toys, too little time. Yipee!

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #29
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I just looked up Malone trailers. Nice design ideas.

Jet Ski trailers look more substantial and are $1000 cheaper.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...mmc=Google-pla