Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
easyday

LA JOLLA 08/06

Hit LJ again today with a buddy, bait was super easy to make really got the greenies down. Fish were all over today lots of people I saw hook up, although I did get hit it did not stick, but I did learn a lot today really getting the technique, bait size, hook size and speed really dialed in I know my YT is coming soon. I did get into an interesting fish that slammed my Mac and instantly went airborne and broke the line as it went up. My buddy got a nice little YT and I think I was just as stoked as he was reeling with me just watching the fight. Overall great day, a little choppy out but a beautiful day nonetheless.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I did get into an interesting fish that slammed my Mac and instantly went airborne and broke the line as it went up.
This was me on Saturday. The yellows were breaching and grabbing bait. Cool to see.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice, i scoped out la jolla today since i had 45 minutes to spare before meeting an electrical contractor. Looks like a simple launch, but parking sucks around there. Hope to see some YT pics soon. Semper Fi bro.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
lbsurf2ca

Quote:
Hit LJ again today with a buddy, bait was super easy to make really got the greenies down. Fish were all over today lots of people I saw hook up, although I did get hit it did not stick, but I did learn a lot today really getting the technique, bait size, hook size and speed really dialed in I know my YT is coming soon. I did get into an interesting fish that slammed my Mac and instantly went airborne and broke the line as it went up. My buddy got a nice little YT and I think I was just as stoked as he was reeling with me just watching the fight. Overall great day, a little choppy out but a beautiful day nonetheless.
Easyday-

Can you post a little bit about your setup? I know lots of guys on here will jump at the chance to give you some advice. If you haven't connected this summer your doing something wrong. Not to say that blind luck won't get you a yellow this summer but instead of just saying "you'll getum next time" have you considered getting a guide? Some guys just aren't really into that and want to figure it out on their own which is fine but if your a poor shmuck like me and only get one shot a week to fish then you may want to consult the darkhorse (Josh Pruitt). It's a small price to pay considering all the knowledge Josh throws at you. In my eyes it saved me so much time and money.

When out on the water being ready and maximizing on opportunity is key.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsurf2ca View Post
Easyday-

Can you post a little bit about your setup? I know lots of guys on here will jump at the chance to give you some advice. If you haven't connected this summer your doing something wrong. Not to say that blind luck won't get you a yellow this summer but instead of just saying "you'll getum next time" have you considered getting a guide? Some guys just aren't really into that and want to figure it out on their own which is fine but if your a poor shmuck like me and only get one shot a week to fish then you may want to consult the darkhorse (Josh Pruitt). It's a small price to pay considering all the knowledge Josh throws at you. In my eyes it saved me so much time and money.

The thought of a guide hasn't even crossed my mind. I know I can do it on my own. (Eventually haha)Besides you know how much ammo I can get for the price of a guide. Being on the water for me isn't 100% about catching fish either if I catch cool, if not oh we'll next time it just a lot of fun and always a learning experience being out there. And when I get one day off a week I don't always get to fish. I'm using 65lb green braid no swivel to somewhere around 5-6ft 30 lb fluro. Bait size was small today (which I actually prefer) so a 2/0 hook.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
iethinker

Agreed

Quote:
The thought of a guide hasn't even crossed my mind. I know I can do it on my own. (Eventually haha)Besides you know how much ammo I can get for the price of a guide. Being on the water for me isn't 100% about catching fish either if I catch cool, if not oh we'll next time it just a lot of fun and always a learning experience being out there. And when I get one day off a week I don't always get to fish. I'm using 65lb green braid no swivel to somewhere around 5-6ft 30 lb fluro. Bait size was small today (which I actually prefer) so a 2/0 hook.
Go For the Ammo if you can find it!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
Go For the Ammo if you can find it!

Good news is I work at a shooting range and I'm a firearms instructor.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Apex

Cool

So anyone else that was at la jolla today see a school of durado, can't really believe this. Words from a guy who was out today said his buddy hooked up to one and it went airborne. Wolf tickets or possible..Im thinking mako
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Navyyak
Junior

I thought I had seen the on target thing somewhere before. I was out there in the camo xfactor. Congrats to your buddy on the yellowtail. Ive been out there since getting stationed in SD in Jan and still no yellowtail for me.
Navyyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
easyday

LA JOLLA 08/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
So anyone else that was at la jolla today see a school of durado, can't really believe this. Words from a guy who was out today said his buddy hooked up to one and it went airborne. Wolf tickets or possible..Im thinking mako

That was me that hooked up to one it broke me off as it went airborne....never seen a bright green mako. Today was the day to not have a camera. Is it really that unbelievable when they were being caught within 3 miles of Dana point 2 weeks ago? But hey I could be wrong who knows.

Last edited by easyday; 08-06-2014 at 10:37 PM.
easyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #11
Phiderman

I believe it. The water temp was 75 yesterday. Saw lots of life out there.
Phiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
Apex

Got word from Preston, dude that's epic hard not to believe
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsurf2ca View Post
Easyday-

This is great advise. Cost is completely worth it. The know how you will gain is worth 3x the expense. To a total rookie like me. The lessons were priceless.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote