Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 01-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

Want to buy Kayak but no idea

Want to sell my aluminum boat and buy a kayak big guy though ops: what size, kind, accessories etc. needed??? any help or if someone has one that would fit..
Old 01-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Ryan The Sealion

every yak has a ton of +'s and -'s.. I'm on my 4th yak... :lol: (only been yakin bout a year too) it's a cobra merauder.. decent speed stability combo..good storage...
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
scwafish

How tall are you? Weight?
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

6' 250 need something stable, what do you do if you flip in them??? Is that something a guy needs to practice??? I have no idea have been a PB'er all my life but I think it is time to actually catch some fish :lol:
Old 01-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
bigderel
UberMember

I'm 6'-4"/235 and have a Fish n Dive...stable as hell but slow. If you plan on doing some distance paddling or want a fast kayak you won't appreciate it. It's got tons of room though and surfs OK, I like it. Test paddle a few and see what you like...remember that a full livewell and gear will add more than a few pounds if you try to cut it close on the weight capacity.

Take it out in the bay or calm water somewhere and practice self-rescue before you do any serious kayaking. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it, but you don't want your first time doing it to be a real situation.
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
Razorback

If you are planning to fish in the ocean with full gear and beach launch and re-entry - then I would reco either a Malibu X- FACTOR, or EXTREME.

I started w/ the COBRA FND and with it's stabilty - it gave me the confidence to handle rough water - but soon became too slow and the performance wasn't there when needed to track, sprint or perform stellar beach landings. :roll:

I am 6'0" and 210 lbs and the X-Factor fits me like a glove. Not as fast as the Extreme - but I give up some speed for comfort. I like to target big fish and the the way I sit down into the seat well - it seems to give me xtra leverage and control during hookup. I probably dumped my Cobra 1/2 dozen times - but knock on wood - have never rolled the Malibu.

There are pros and cons to all yaks. Get down to the local yak shops and demo ride all the yaks built specifically for fishing platforms and buy the one you feel most comfortable in. Most major brands have Dealers in San Diego. I personally prefer Malibu for there attention to the fishermans needs - but there are other brands that out perform them on the water (Wilderness). But, heh - I drive a truck, not a Porshe... + recessed rod holders are better than the surface mount Scotty's - if you are into bigger fishes.

Once you have your model picked out - then rig it to your style of fishing:

ie: inshore lightweight for bass, trophy YT and WSB, halibut, etc.

IMHO - the essentials are:
PFD
Handheld VHF radio
Bait tank or tube
Storage haches large enough to store rods below for hairy re-entry.
Fish Finder - this is debatable amoungst the purist. Some of the ol Boys hunt with their eyes and ears and feel the FF is a distraction from scanning the enviornment. I prefer data and get real grumpy when my sonar goes out on me. (Seems to happen alot) I like to know the terrrain, depth, kelp coverages below, bait pictures and after a awhile, you begin to get a feel for the "lay of the land". This info make you a better hunter in the long run. Especially if you consistently fish the same waters.

If you are new to Ocean yak fishing - then it's well worth contacting one of the local guides to spend a day with. At the very least - contact Jim Sammons and attend his group surf, paddle and safety skills clinic . Will save you a lot of grief and lost gear in the long run.

Also - if you are serious and want to devote above average time on the water - then invest in a good lightweight paddle. If you get into this sport with a passion (it is highly contagious) then you'll find yourself covering a lot of ground in a days hunt. If you're putzzing around in the kelp slinging for calicos - then it's probably no big deal to have an average paddle.

Last of all - bring your best dose of patience. It's take persistence to push through the learning curve of successfull angling in this sport. Any Donkey with a spinning rod can paddle out to the bouy. But you have to put in the time to really undertand the nuances of the game. There are some very skilled kayak anglers on these boards - try to pay attention to what they are doing. Otherwise, watch, listen (VHF) and learn from the posts.

I can promise you one thing - you will learn more about fishing being 6" off the water than you ever did riding in your skiff.

Best of luck.

HAWG OUT

(FYI - this advise is from observations from a very average intermediate yak obssesed angler.) Many others can shed more valuable light on the subject.
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

Right On!! thanks for the advice I think I will go take a guide out. Thaks you guys and hopefully I can add to the awesome posts, that you guys produce on this website, sometime in the near future!!!! 8)
Old 01-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #8
fishnut

Brandon-

Good advice from the guys on this board. Best advice is definitely to paddle before you buy. All the opinions & preferences are just that, and you won't know until you sit your butt down and paddle around on the water for a while. I am fairly new to kayak fishing, and also traded up from an aluminum boat. I paddled a few at Allen's kayaks in Mission Beach and ended up getting an Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 and love it. I've been out in La Jolla 5 times so far and haven't dumped yet (knock on wood). Still have yet to put a yellowtail on the boat, but with all the good advice from these guys, and time on the water, just a matter of time. By the way I'm 6' 5" and 230. The P15 is very stable I think (haven't had other brands so can't comment on them). Have fun with your search. Once you get one, then the real fun begins with rigging it exactly how you want it. Kayak fishing is amazing...so awesome paddling out to the grounds and hunting the fish. You will love it.
fishnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

Thanks guys for the advic I will let you guy know when I get one and everyone can come and watch the fun :lol: look forward to fishing with all of you!!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
twinfin

All good advice. Dumping in the surf isn't something that you should be afraid of. Sometimes I'll even paddle for a wave and standup surf it in just for fun. If yo shit is stashed, getting a little wet is no biggie.

Dumping offshore is something that you should get comfortable with especially if you are a big lug of a dude. Even more so if you are not savvy IN the water. Spend some coin on a comfy high quality PFD.
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #11
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

I am a big lug that is for sure but I am like a fish when it comes to water I think I will go down to allens and rent a couple take them out to the bay and dump em about 30 times just to make sure :roll: and again you guys are awesome for sharing with me it is really cool and inviting when you are going to attempt something new and everybody is real helpful!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Dennis

That's right, Dan. I surfed my X-Factor like that a couple of times... It's kinda tough on the bottom turns, though .
-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote