Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt, 9-24-15

Launched at 6:30 to a east wind and scattered clouds. Water was around 74 and depending on where you were either really dirty or really clean. Not really any in between.

I started on the boilers at Doho as the wind was stronger than predicted and I wasn't sure what it would do. Got a couple bites but no love. Headed out to the kelp on the pipe and it was gone. Too bad since Steve and I have had some good days on that kelp. I wasn't set up to fish deep with an offshore wind, so I headed to the jetty. Found a few isolated stringers and missed quite a few biters and then lost the kelp. Moved on up to the point looking for clean water and some current.

Found the clean water, but not the current. I hit Spanish Rock for a while, but no love there. Went out to the kelp, but nothing out there. I'm sure the lack of current was the reason. Hit Spanish again on the way in and found 1 legal calico that rocked me at first. That's always fun on the 10lb. Then I worked some meter marks in tighter for nada. Then I hit a couple of boilers that have produced in the past.

While it was no barn burner I did manage 2 legals and 2 shorts. Running short on time I had to leave them biting. I did do a couple of drifts off the jetty where I re found the kelp. But, no takers. I was in by 11:00.

Hot bait today was the sexy mullet 5" Paddlerz on a Warbait head. Hot Sauce for flavor of course.

It was nice to fish the point again, it's been a couple of years. Can't wait to hit it again when there's some current.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
octico

Thanks for the update Ed. I was out at the pipe a few weeks ago. It was tough to find any kelp structure was limited.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Amish Ed

I think that last swell took out the 20 or so strands of kelp. They weren't very healthy.

As far as the pipe itself, there's not much to it. Best fished with a light straight offshore. This carries you along the pipe. As opposed to any other wind which will just give you quick shots at it as you pass over. Obviously when the traps are out it's much easier to fish.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
King Saba

Thanks for the report. Any signs of Bones there still? Those things are so fun.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Amish Ed

I didn't see any, but I was in pretty tight almost the whole morning.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
King Saba

I see. Thanks
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
PapaDave

Bones are still there. Was out Saturday with some nice anchovies from the receivers, headed south. Trolled some hard baits for many bones and fly lined the anchovies in the kelp for some nice bass, all but one released, including about a six pounder, just shy of the San Clemente pier. I was using ultra light gear, lots of fun but lost a couple of really good hook ups in the rocks/kelp. Water on the outside kelp was crystal clear, could see the Garibaldi on the bottom in about 35 feet. Inside was dirty to real dirty but found a bunch of sandies in the real dirty stuff. Flat water all day. Was real nice out.