Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 04:32 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Asuncion Update.

It has been a while since I posted an update on the life in Bahia Asuncion so I thought I'd give a short synopsis of the fishing action over the past couple months.
August was a pretty good month for yellowtail. I ended up landing 41 yellows ranging from 18 to 28 pounds. September gave me only 12 yellowtail. However, because of the affects of Hurricane Linda which kept me on the beach for a week, and because I was in southern California for the last 15 days of September, this total only represents 4 days of fishing.
I got back here in Asuncion on the 29th and have been out fishing 3 times and it has been a little disappointing. My hot spots around San Roque have been without life and have only managed 2 small yellows in my two trips out there. I have was given some info by a local gringo about an area that might be holding some Dorado, so I gave that area a try yesterday. I found the area plugged with 12 to 18 inch Sierra. Lots of fun but costly if you don't have wire leaders.

The exotics like tuna and wahoo are in the area and some of the pangeros are expiencing quick limits on tuna with a Wahoo or two thrown in. The area with most of the action is a bit out of paddling range for me but I continue to have my eyes scanning for some closer activity. There has been a couple wahoo caught fairly close to home around Isla Asuncion but have not been out there since I got back.

Lobster season started here on October 1st and as a result the landings are a beehive of activities in the early morning, and with the pots in the water I have the opportunity to make some new spots of structure. The early reports for the commercial guys are a little disappointing on the lobster counts. They are blaiming it on the warm water which is in the 80s in some areas.

I hope to get in on a day of Panga fishing later this week so I can have some ahi for searing and canning. I also am planning a trip up to the Bahia Tortugas area for some camping and fishing later this month. A local free diver turned me on to a place between Bahia Tortugas and Punta Eugenia where he has shot some quality yellows right off the beach.

Looking forward to some guests later this week and of course the Makobob mob over Thanksgiving.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Glad you got HOME safely. Water temp was 88 in Gonzaga last week. Let us know about Turtle bay. Have a great month and thanks for the update.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
taggermike

Another report that makes me want to run down there. Pta.Eugenia is a legendary yt spot. That should be great. You're there and I'm not, but you might try catching one of those sierra and putting it immediately on the heaviest out fit you have. Maybe even with wire incase there are wahoo around. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote