Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Cedros Island 9/28/2016--Part 2. loooong w/pic.

I know the readers want to see the pictures first, so go ahead and do that. Then come back, kick your shoes off, pour a cup of your favorite beverage and read the actual report.
If you plan to go there, then you will find almost all of your questions answered. If you have more questions, then feel free to ask.

1-Happy angler who has a fish on the line.

2-You never know what will take your offering, a calico, yellowtail, or an un-expected species. Therefore, I always had my rod belt on.

3-Some else’s good size yellowtail being filleted.

4-One of the Pangas that Jose had. My Panga was owned by the driver who was on contract with the operation for the first five days.
The last two days we were on this Panga called Sushi Bar .

Mine was named Melany. Others were; Chum Chum, Sushi bar and peshosho!!

5-My driver who was very knowledgeable, nice and taught me some Spanish. He practiced English, and I Spanish.

The PVC tube has a flare and beacon for emergencies. The boats are in constant communication.
The area that does receive a good signal is avoided by the driver for safety reasons.

6-First order of the business most days was to get live bait. There was only one place about 45-60 minutes ride full speed from the marina to get bait.
These pictures do not do it justice as far the number of life in and out of water looking for bait fish.

7-This was the only area were we would catch bait.

8-For safety reason and to make sure that the drivers share information about what is being caught where; they are in almost constant communication
with each other.

When one boat hits a good fishing spot, the driver tells the others if the clients want to catch that kind of fish.
In our case it was Dorado report that sent us rushing to the spot.

9-Catching mostly sardines with the Ahi bait rod.
Some days were too easy to catch them, other days we had to constantly chase the bait ball and hook them.

10-My first bonito of the trip.

11-My first sheephead with my secret bait.

12-I was looked at with a puzzling look by others using my secret sheephead bait, until I landed this sheephead.

I lost a bigger one, where the fish rocked me. Though I did not see the fish, chances are good that it was a sheephead.

13-Another nice calico.

14-OK here is the real size.

15-I put on a green feather, six (6) hook bait rig and a bonito lure as a sinker on the bottom. It seemed the bonito liked the small hooks better.

16-On another cast, four bonito was hooked. Two got caught and two broke the leader. Again ignoring the lure.

17-Another silly hat for lobster dinner the last night of the first group.

18-I did not take picture of every Calico or fish that I caught, but this one is for Mr. Vinnie. Calico on Krocodile.

19-Looks like sand bass. Lure—Salas 6X Jr. in scrambled egg.

I can’t tell you about the funny hat yet. Sorry.

20-A small barracuda with Salas 6 X Jr. in scrambled egg color.

21-It seems that Salas 6 X Jr. in scrambled egg color is an equal opportunity lure. It catches many different species.

22-Imagine my surprise when a sheephead came up with “you know” which lure.

23-Notice the lack of instruments on this panga. Having lived there all of his life, Edwardo (the driver) knew the spots.
When motor lacked power, he changed gas tanks.

My fishing companion for the first four days in the background.

24-What a beautiful and fun fish is Dorado to catch.

To be continued on part three………………………
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote