Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

big bear lake -kayak fishing?

has anyone gone?
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
YakMedic

It's a place I've always wanted to fish on a yak, plus I live close. The downside is its 20$ to launch for a single day due to some water resi charge. If you plan on going I'm in, let me know... weekends are best for me.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Tubed there many times, never paid a cent. Leave out of Boulder bay or any other place where it is not private. Summer trout hang very deep, bass will be in the shallow grass/ weeds. If you go now the trout can be had in much shallower water.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Big Bear lake is not friendly to tourist boaters of any kind. Locals pony up for a annual permit that lets them get on the water any time they want. Visitors are asked to buy daily permits that costs as much as a good dinner at the best restaurant in town.

I have been pulled over by the lake patrol in everything from an float tube to a canoe. They never wrote me a ticket but were very firm in saying that if they saw me out there again bad things would happen.

I seldom go to Big Bear in the summer any more.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

fuggedaboutit

I'm with Bob. Irvine lake is better.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Yep, sounds like the little hick town I grew up in...Don’t see many yaks on the lake. The wind can really kick in the afternoon. Trout are down deep on the north side from Grays landing to the observatory in the summer. In spring the trout are good but not too large, pick up most trolling. Never really hit the bass up there. The lake is full of carp, see many flatlanders using corn fishing for them.
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
TT5150
Slayer

Just did a weekend and spent a fortune. Not a friendly person in sight spent half the day getting inspected and just about got myself arrested. The police boat kept bugging us apparently their memory sucks as much as they do. Then with the wind and drunk boaters it was a nightmare.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
MuddyMike

Dang, I guess a lot has changed in 14 years. I lived up there for a couple years and there was never any launch fees or hassles from lake patrol. I had a little Sears Gamefisher with a 10hp motor and fished all the time spring through fall.

I don't recall a lake use sticker back then, but it's entirely possible I just forgot about it.

North shore between grout bay and the Observatory was always a great place for trout and bass. Bass were usually on the small side, but a lot more fun to fish for than trout.

It was pretty nice when it was in my back yard, but I'm not too motivated to make a trip up there to fish besides to refresh some memories.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
armyyaker
Junior

just went there

I just went to big bear on Friday to beat the crowds for the trout tournament. I launched out of boulder bay and it was free. I trolled around the mouth of the bay for a few hours using mostly the wind to drift me. I had a few hits and caught two decent trout. On the way in just outside of the dock I ended up catching a crappie drifting some power bait. I stopped and anchored and ended up catching 19 on tube jigs... I agree with the rest of the posts the 45 dollars for an annual pass is a bit excessive. I go there as often as possible since its not far so if any one is interested in going let me know.
armyyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
YakMedic

Army,
I'm in for a BBL trip, weekends only for me at the moment. Gettin into a crappie bite is always fun.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
Army,
I'm in for a BBL trip, weekends only for me at the moment. Gettin into a crappie bite is always fun.

I might have to join you two TOO!!! ha ha
Medic are you Army also? I was just curious.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatford View Post
I might have to join you two TOO!!! ha ha
Medic are you Army also? I was just curious.
Nope, civilian paramedic. Let's do this.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
armyyaker
Junior

Sounds good

Sounds good to me for sure. I will be up there on Saturday as usual. If you all want to meet up at boulder bay there is a little park there I usually put in at. Say around 4pm is as it is usually an evening bite there...http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/i...ing-smiley.gif
Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
armyyaker
Junior

Oh yeah

Bring some tube jigs small white ones and red and white ones seemed the best. Didnt even have to put any bait on it just jig and wait for a hit.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
YakMedic

This weekends no good for me (wedding anniversary) i'll be out of town. The following weekends good though. Sent you a pm with my info.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
fishingfool

Go to Lake Gregory in Crestline. It is a San Bernardino regional park. There are no power boats on the lake. Just row boats with trolling motors and small sail boats once in a while. It's $10.00 to launch for the day. Everybody there are friendly and no hassles. I work there and we have a lot of fun with our customers. You need to launch at the boathouse. Unload at the boat house and than Park on the street. Be sure to say Hi to me at the boat house.
fishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #17
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfool View Post
Go to Lake Gregory in Crestline. It is a San Bernardino regional park. There are no power boats on the lake. Just row boats with trolling motors and small sail boats once in a while. It's $10.00 to launch for the day. Everybody there are friendly and no hassles. I work there and we have a lot of fun with our customers. You need to launch at the boathouse. Unload at the boat house and than Park on the street. Be sure to say Hi to me at the boat house.
Does the $10.00 cover parking, or is there a separate fee to fish? We go to prado a few times a year and there are seperate charges for fishing, launching, and entrance to the park.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
armyyaker
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfool View Post
What kind of fish are there to catch? I have never been but may look into that for sure. Its hard to find good freshwater Kayak friendly fishing places.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
fishingfool

There is no charge to park. only charges is to launch. There are trout, crappie, bluegill, catfish, and bass. The bass are hard to catch, but are big. I have not weighed anything under 5 lbs. Last Saturday I weighed 3 trout a little over 3lbs each. There is a trout tournament this coming Saturday. The county will be stocking a 1000 lbs of trout for this.
fishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
armyyaker
Junior

Thanks

Hey thanks for the info I may have to check it out I am always looking for new areas to fish. I grew up on lake superior so most of my fishing knowledge is for fresh water species. I will have to stop by there and say hi one of these weekends.