Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
MrPatrick

drop shot loop

When I use a drop-shot rig in the bay I like to use a two oz. torpedo sinker. I used to take it off of the snap swivel every time a location change was called for. It would be removed to prevent it from swinging and damaging the rod or getting tangled with other rods. Now I use a washer from a garden hose that is zip tied to the threaded area of the reelseat. The sinker slides in and out very easy and the washer is not in the way
A drinking water bottle with a loop on it and a wide mouth make a great holder for keyes and a cellphone. Put the loop through one of your seat straps and it will be withen easy reach. The water bottle can be used to rinse sand off of your yak when you come in.
Last, put your kayak dolly on the trunk of your and secure it down with the wheels up so that you can roll your yak up to the roof racks rather than lifting it.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastic View Post
When I use a drop-shot rig in the bay I like to use a two oz. torpedo sinker. I used to take it off of the snap swivel every time a location change was called for. It would be removed to prevent it from swinging and damaging the rod or getting tangled with other rods. Now I use a washer from a garden hose that is zip tied to the threaded area of the reelseat. The sinker slides in and out very easy and the washer is not in the way
A drinking water bottle with a loop on it and a wide mouth make a great holder for keyes and a cellphone. Put the loop through one of your seat straps and it will be withen easy reach. The water bottle can be used to rinse sand off of your yak when you come in.
Last, put your kayak dolly on the trunk of your and secure it down with the wheels up so that you can roll your yak up to the roof racks rather than lifting it.
Your ideas sound interesting. How about photos of the sinker holder and trunk/wheel rig.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

Downrigger crate

Not sure if this is an innovation, but my take on adding a downrigger to a crate. I already had a downrigger from my fishing boat (which is used less and less). I didn't want a permanent installation until I see how much I actually use it. I had some leftover cutting boards which bolted on either side of the crate with mounting base on the outside. I was lucky enough to find a crate with a metal ring around the top, so it pretty strong.
downrigger1.jpg
downrigger2.jpg
Next I needed a way to lock the crate down. I used some U-bolts and pvc and have go into the rod holders behind the seat. They are angled in and do a nice job keeping it down. The one end is not glued shut so I can take it off when I want to.
downrigger3.jpg
downrigger4.jpg
I really enjoy seeing all the different ideas on this forum. Thanks.

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
senojmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
GregAndrew

I would love to hear how the downrigger affects the handling of your yak. I was considering the same thing for trout fishing up in Idaho, and was concerned about the drag. Do you peddle or paddle?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
DESTROYER

Andy- That is SICK
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I would love to hear how the downrigger affects the handling of your yak. I was considering the same thing for trout fishing up in Idaho, and was concerned about the drag. Do you peddle or paddle?
I tried to do some homework, and found that most people are replacing the existing line with a braided line with a smaller diameter and using a 2-3 lb. weight. I also shortened the boom on mine as well. I paddle, so we will see how it goes. That is why I decided to mount it on the crate, if i find it doesn't work well. Like you, I am gunning for some lake trout that run deep in Northern Utah, especially at Bear Lake.

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
senojmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Ed
Fringe Head

In Hatch Gear Holder

Simple solution to keep gear in the bow from sliding around. Goop, padeyes and bungee. Held up for over a year.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
Duke
Junior

Hey senojmj, what size pvc did you use to put inside the flush mount?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas