Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
GeauxFish

Ascend FS12T opinions

First time kayak buyer and I am considering the Ascend FS12T from Bass Pro. The reviews online seem solid, there just aren't many reviews about offshore fishing. Anyone have any advice on this model or others that may work with a $600 budget?
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
octico

Do not do it. Get a used kayak, trust me you will be better off.

Jump on this one right away!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=26816
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
TATER
GET SOME !!!

This was the first kayak I had, and it was OK at first but, the more gear I carried and more into kayak fishing I got the less I liked it. It's not very stable, especially for surf launching and landing. You can pick up a nice used kayak for that price range with extra gear for $600. If I could go back in the past I would have picked up an ocean kayak or a cobra fish n dive. Good luck in your ventures.
TATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
fisher_4_life

I also had an Ascend kayak in the beginning. Sold it after a few months because I really didn't care much for it. Bought a Pro Angler and couldn't be happier with a kayak!
fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
MrPatrick

Ascend FS12T opinions

Check out that Trident x2! Easy to paddle. Rod pod. Excellent in the surf. Rod pod. I have the 15 and as it suits my weight better than the 13. Rod pod.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
GeauxFish

Thanks for the replies. I think the Trident 14' is too much for me to haul in bed of my truck. Suppose to be getting a Malibu Stealth 12' tomorrow if all goes well.
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxFish View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think the Trident 14' is too much for me to haul in bed of my truck. Suppose to be getting a Malibu Stealth 12' tomorrow if all goes well.
I just bought my first kayak a couple weeks ago and I was pretty overwhelmed by the size (moving it around, etc.), but now that I have a system down it's not bad at all. You'll get used to it.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Harry Hill

Well, this is depressing to read. I bought the Ascend FS12T because I hadn't discovered this sight yet. I plan on fishing salt water and it's not like I have a choice now. I guess I'll just have to make do and hope I don't get killed getting through the surf.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxFish View Post
While I can't vouch for the ocean trident I can say that for the stealth it's one of the more cumbersome to paddle kayaks out there. Since its 33" wide and 12' the kayak takes more effort to get initial start up speed and maintenance of speed. Personally I wouldn't really recommend the kayak to anyone if they're not looking for stability and storage options.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
MrPatrick

Don't haul it in the bed. Get one rack for the roof of the the truck and a vertical rack off your hitch. You can also put 1 or 2 of the Thule racks in your truck bed.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote