Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
FISH11

LJ 7/25/16

Like a lot of guys lately I got the bug to try to reach the TUNA. Went out this morning, unloaded before light but took longer then I would like to get ready and finally on the water by about 5:45am. Headed toward the pier to make bait since I was just going to head due West from the pier. Got there and had a little problem finding the right kind. Once I found them I had 10 medium to very large greenbacks. Started heading out and once out of the MLPA, I pinned on the largest one I had and trolled it for the next couple hours straight west. Found and area with birds and bait crashing the surface but no takers for the greenback or the irons I threw into the boils for the next 1/2 hour. Then the bait and the birds were gone. Kept heading west and finally turned at about 4.5 miles. At that point the birds had left so had the PB's and not a kayak in sight. I could see at least a mile beyond and no bird action anywhere as far as I could see. It stayed heavy overcast most of the day and it even tried to rain for about 3 minutes. At least the wind was still for part of the morning making it easier to head out. When the wind picked up the the water got chopped at least I was heading south and east with most of it coming from behind. The radio chatter form guys on boat a lot further out and at the banks were all saying they could not find the Tuna and how the last few days had been great but today was very slow and a few said they at least had some Yellows. Personally I never did see any kayak or boat land any, except bait and small barracudas. The trip out was the farthest I had gone out on a kayak and being alone didn't bother me I'm used to fishing alone and often prefer it, because it lets me relax more. I only lost 1 greenback to a sea lion and that was near the end while trolling around the around the kelp lines in front of the condo. Met a guy in a skiff and gave him about 3 greenbacks, he put them in a cooler since he didn't have a bait tank. The rest of the macs were all released after trolling them for 1 to 2 hours, the others when I got back to the Boundary. I did find that peddling the Revo 13 that far is really cool and not tiring. Hope they come in closer because I can hardly wait to do it again. I know it's a Go Pro picture but Mt. Soledad looks like a small bump on the coast line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOPR0524.jpg (34.0 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 07-25-2016 at 07:06 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
david886720

Kudos. All of you guys who go out that far for the adventure have my respect. Hope you find get one this year
david886720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
maquinapescado

Nice try and thanks for the report. I wonder if the seining spread them out or if they are laying low after a busy weekend? Too many fish, with bait and good water temps in tight for them to have split. They'll pop again.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

A seiner will absolutely make the fish wanna split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Cbad Mike

Nice report Mark. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
Zed
BANNED

Well, at least you saw Soledad from a new angle.

Infinite monkey theorem. One of these days...
Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquinapescado View Post
Nice try and thanks for the report. I wonder if the seining spread them out or if they are laying low after a busy weekend? Too many fish, with bait and good water temps in tight for them to have split. They'll pop again.
There are 4 seiners that have been wrapping for the past 4-5 days now, starting from Encinitas they have now moved up off san-o and box canyon area. Saw them today as i passed by and they all had fish wrapped up. There's still lots of 10-30lb yellowfin popping up here and there, but the mass of the fish has definitely moved out west or been wrapped. Don't quote me on that though. I had fished on the skiff before the weekend and saw the biomass and then these past 2 days I've only seen small spots of fish come up but the good foamers are way out west and completely out of yak range.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
east county dirtbag

Seiner was out in LJ on Sunday. So was the new seaforth. I could not believe how far in they were. Kind of pissed me off to be honest
east county dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 AM   #9
NICKWORN

New Seaforth Captain is Prick

Dude is a joke, hes been posted up 100-200 yds off the condo for awhile now.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #10
Dingokevin

Yeah on Friday he was posted up way inside. Just doing circles around all the boats and yaks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote