Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
Mr_Fixit

Oceanside Artificial Reef 1

Any good fishing here? Any tips anyone can offer? I was out that way this last weekend, but was unaware of the reef until today. So, I will be heading out that way next weekend.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
Any good fishing here? Any tips anyone can offer? I was out that way this last weekend, but was unaware of the reef until today. So, I will be heading out that way next weekend.
I was out there for several hours yesterday. I metered more activity and had more action at AR1 than I get at AR2. You can fish with sardines or chovies from the barge, make macs all around or take some squid with you as well as plastics and irons.

Just have to try everything and work with the current and swell. AR1 is a little further out than AR2.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
I was out there for several hours yesterday. I metered more activity and had more action at AR1 than I get at AR2. You can fish with sardines or chovies from the barge, make macs all around or take some squid with you as well as plastics and irons.

Just have to try everything and work with the current and swell. AR1 is a little further out than AR2.
You have any idea if YT roam around the area? Also, do sheephead go after typical baits like Rockfish and such? (Squid, cut mac, so on)...
Old 07-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Dirty Curti

Quote:
You have any idea if YT roam around the area? Also, do sheephead go after typical baits like Rockfish and such? (Squid, cut mac, so on)...
I haven't heard of any caught at the AR's. Sheepshead do eat the same thing as rockfish. You won't find these at the AR's either. Tyoically all that you will find there is Callicos & Sandbass, Halibut & Bonito.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
I haven't heard of any caught at the AR's. Sheepshead do eat the same thing as rockfish. You won't find these at the AR's either. Tyoically all that you will find there is Callicos & Sandbass, Halibut & Bonito.
Well, that sounds good to me anyway. Other than the absolute thrill (And workout) of catching a YT, Halibut really are a favorite catch for me. Are there decent sizes there? This weekend, I caught a baby but. Cute little thing, so I tossed him back so he can be a future meal.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Well, that sounds good to me anyway. Other than the absolute thrill (And workout) of catching a YT, Halibut really are a favorite catch for me. Are there decent sizes there? This weekend, I caught a baby but. Cute little thing, so I tossed him back so he can be a future meal.
I luv the butt myself! Wherever there are small ones there has to be mom and pop around.

Go get'em!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #7
taggermike

I fished the ARs years ago when I live in North county. Mostly sandies, calicos and sculpin for me. Theres not a great deal of hard bottom structure near O-side and those 2 rock piles get hit hard by PBs and the helgrens boats. I have caught YT and bonito there a few times and in the summer calicos will often move up in the water column n eat fly lined baits.

Having the bait receiver so handy can be a big plus.

Another structure spot worth trying is the pipeline out from Buccaneer beach. Ive caught some nice bass and a few YT there. I think it gets less pressure than the ARs. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote