Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #41
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Depending on dates I would be up for that.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #42
greenscales
greenscales

"Bough heart issues was getting thorough the kelp at the launch, but El Niño should limit that the year". Was supposed to be 'But the hard part was....' Typing while buzzed is always dangerous.

The 4th of July falls on a Monday - so allows a 3-4 day trip easily to either Santo Tomas (coastal kelp and rocks w/ Lings, WSB, Cabezon, etc.) - beautiful but far from town, you do not leave until you are ready to go home. Or Punta Baja (big bay and open water reef w/almost no sportfishing pressure), close to El Socorro, San Quintin, and Catavina Desert. Determine which location 3 months prior based upon El Nino, erc.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 AM   #43
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I might be interested in hooking up with a group at Punta Baja. Spent the night there on the way down to Asuncion last thanksgiving. Camped by some abandoned buildings out on the point. Good looking area. How many rooms are available there?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #44
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I might be interested in hooking up with a group at Punta Baja. Spent the night there on the way down to Asuncion last thanksgiving. Camped by some abandoned buildings out on the point. Good looking area. How many rooms are available there?
Punta Baja! Let's go!

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #45
greenscales
greenscales

Rooms in PB

1 Large Room downstairs w/2beds and a couch - which I have passed out on working on my gear - so 3 people in there. I think 5 single rooms upstairs. Do not if they rent any of the other places down there. I've seen tent and small RVs there at times as well. Santo Tomas has houses and the like for rent and some excellent camping spots. All have standard off and on working toilets.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #46
Mahigeer

Where exactly is this place?

Google Map shows several places.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #47
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Where exactly is this place?

Google Map shows several places.

First big point south of El Rosario
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 12-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #48
Mahigeer

Found it. Thanks.

It looks like halfway to same latitude of Cedros Island.
I have fished the place called Bahia Santa Rosalillita, which across from the Cedros Island.
There is a small motel there, though I slept in a truck most nights.

If interested, I can provide a link to a report that I posted about that trip.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #49
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Found it. Thanks.

It looks like halfway to same latitude of Cedros Island.
I have fished the place called Bahia Santa Rosalillita, which across from the Cedros Island.
There is a small motel there, though I slept in a truck most nights.

If interested, I can provide a link to a report that I posted about that trip.
I spent a few days there a few months ago. Very nice fishery. The bay used to be a fabulous place for halibut but the Comercial guys really put a hurt on them. Very few decent one left in the Area. I understand that the hotel is booked as far as you can see with construction guys as they are building a huge aquaculture facility just north of town. Plenty of camping areas. Hope it fairs better than the big beautiful walled in Harbor that they built that filled in with blowing sand before it was even finished.
— Herman Melville

Old 12-07-2015, 02:26 AM   #50
greenscales
greenscales

If one of the Spanish speakers wants - PM me and I will get you Chuy's phone # in Punta Baja

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #51
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I spent a few days there a few months ago. Very nice fishery. The bay used to be a fabulous place for halibut but the Comercial guys really put a hurt on them. Very few decent one left in the Area. I understand that the hotel is booked as far as you can see with construction guys as they are building a huge aquaculture facility just north of town. Plenty of camping areas. Hope it fairs better than the big beautiful walled in Harbor that they built that filled in with blowing sand before it was even finished.

We did not try for halibut, but caught a lot of yellowtails as well as other fish.

I think the idea of harbor was to have the big boats come in and then go on land to Bahia the Los Angeles. A shortcut if you will from Pacific to Sea of Cortez.

Like you said the sand became an issue, but I heard it was from the sea washing into the harbor.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #52
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
We did not try for halibut, but caught a lot of yellowtails as well as other fish.

I think the idea of harbor was to have the big boats come in and then go on land to Bahia the Los Angeles. A shortcut if you will from Pacific to Sea of Cortez.

Like you said the sand became an issue, but I heard it was from the sea washing into the harbor.
That was certainly the plan for the harbor. There seemed to be a real lack of planning on the project. First and foremost was marketing research. How many of these larger boats go by there in a months time and then how many of them would like to take a shortcut to the SOC. I would think that a very high percentage were just going to Cabo. They built and abandoned some state of the art infrastructure with cranes and hoists etc. Not to mention the road off from Highway 1. The widest road in Baja, maybe all of Mexico. I kept looking in my mirrors thinking a commercial airliner might be landing behind me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
— Herman Melville

Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #53
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
If one of the Spanish speakers wants - PM me and I will get you Chuy's phone # in Punta Baja

CHUY!!!! EL CHUY!?

Es Mi Carnal!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #54
greenscales
greenscales

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449778619.027488.jpg
Rossman's pic of my YT

Old 01-15-2016, 03:42 AM   #55
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The exchange rate on pesos to dollars broke through the 18 peso mark today. For those of you who that are taking some trips to Baja I just wanted to give a couple suggestions on taking advantage of these rates. First of all I would suggest that you shop around for the best exchange rate use pesos wherever you can. At least in my area I have not seen any significant price changes as a result of the weak peso but there really doesn't seem to be any consistantcy in what a retailer or service provider uses as the exchange rate. It could be 14.5 or could be 17.5. You won't know unless you ask and once you know they are not apt to change it just because you tell them it should be different. Fuel and lodging are going to be your big ticket items. Mexico lowered it's maximum fuel price by 3 percent on January 1st but again you are at there mercy when it comes to the exchange rate. Some places will have it posted, some will not. The Pemex station in Asuncion is at 17 but the Pemex in Gonzaga was at 15 over Christmas. You can now shop for lower fuel prices because Pemex stations can charge what they want without exceeding the maximum but if you at their mercy on the exchange rate, any savings could dissappear if you use dollars. So shop for your pesos and use them wherever you can.
— Herman Melville

Old 01-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #56
Mahigeer

Good tip.

I bought Pesos when I was coming in October. I paid $7.50 for shipping fee to B&A.
I did not needed them, since Bob drove (he accepted Dollars for my part of gas cost) and only other expense was dinner at the restaurant. I paid in Dollars there too, since me and Paul were sharing the cost. It was easier to figure out.

I saw everyone accepted Dollars, so when I got back I sold them. Yet again another fee. Who knows how much it cost me by buying and selling.

Then I decided to make the New Year's Eve trip. This time I drove and paid for gas, some stuff and food. I wish I had kept the Pesos.

Oh well, when one travels, one cannot think of nickel and dime stuff.

But every penny also counts.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #57
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Good tip.

I bought Pesos when I was coming in October. I paid $7.50 for shipping fee to B&A.
I did not needed them, since Bob drove (he accepted Dollars for my part of gas cost) and only other expense was dinner at the restaurant. I paid in Dollars there too, since me and Paul were sharing the cost. It was easier to figure out.

I saw everyone accepted Dollars, so when I got back I sold them. Yet again another fee. Who knows how much it cost me by buying and selling.

Then I decided to make the New Year's Eve trip. This time I drove and paid for gas, some stuff and food. I wish I had kept the Pesos.

Oh well, when one travels, one cannot think of nickel and dime stuff.

But every penny also counts.
In Baja Norte most everyone takes the dollar. Just a small example. I stayed at Campo Beluga for 3 nights on my Christmas trip. He charges 25 dollars a night for his little enclosed cabanas. Since I only had pesos it was 400 pesos per night. I got my pesos from the atm at the 17.5 rate so my cost was around 23 bucks a night. 3 nights and I saved 6 bucks. That's a 6 pack of Pacifico
— Herman Melville

Old 01-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #58
makobob
Baitless on Baja

SAFETY NOTICE

ATTENTION DIVERS:

On this last trip there were TWO accidents. First, watch where YOU put your hand. Please not on top of a live SCULPIN. Second, AGAIN watch where you put your hand. Please not in a dark cave as MOREY EELS live there and they BITE. We discussed the eels the night BEFORE at dinner, however the diver got his finger and finger nail tore up pretty good.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #59
Kesepton

Mako bob, I want so bad to go on one of your trips. Ive been reading and watching your threads for awhile now. I see youre getting very good at organizing these things! I don't even have a kayak right now so its been rough for me....

I was hoping to go down to Baja this march but my dates don't match yours sadly... (I am thinking march 25-29) Do you think if we did end up going we will have issues with easter finding places to stay/eat?

We are hoping to see some whales and do some surf fishing at least. Is Gonzaga still a good destination for that during that time?

Thanks for all your work and contributions to these trips. I really hope to join you on one.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #60
makobob
Baitless on Baja

YOU could join us for those dates, there should be room at the inn. I am leaving for there tonight and wont be back until Tuesday. I have some people going 20-26 march it would be ok if you stayed an extra day or two. This is spring break so there might be 20 people on our 2 miles of beach.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN