Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Ggiannig89

Colorado river, Ferguson lake

ft 6/10 at almost midnight. I had never been to this place or the river in general so I decided to stop and finish Friday night in Yuma in a Walmart parking lot. I also needed a few things.

After waking up we made it to the lake by 7am. The long dirt road really make it feel like you're heading to a dirt box and gives you the wild feeling. Set up camp and then fished all day. I'm a terrible lmb fishermen but there were tons of bites on the senko tight to the bank. I was able to land a couple. As the day wound down on Saturday the hot ticket was catfish after catfish as well as bluegill which kept us busy with fun. Kept a few bluegill to fry up for dinner which was delicious.
The weather wasn't too bad. Temp read 100 but it really didn't feel that bad. If it got too hot jumping in the river was always a good idea.
For today 6/12 did some more lmb fishing until 10am with a few more hook ups and even more misses. All the bass seemed around 1-2lbs.
Packed up and was gone by 11:00, home by 3:30
All in all a great trip and can't wait to be back,
Attached Images

Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Ggiannig89

Can't really figure out how to post more than 1 picture at a time, but I didn't take any pics on the water because I was scared to get my new phone wet.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Nice .....

Catch
Old 06-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

This June gloom has been making me think hard about braving the heat and running to the river......I want stripers though, so thinking Willow Beach or Cat Tail cove...........Ferguson looks PURDY! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
YTHunter
Carlisle

Great post! Thanks for broadening our horizons.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
dillpick
fisha

great report thank you for sharing. I went to mittry lake two weeks ago and had a great time.We are going back this weekend for my girlfriend's birthday and i cant wait.
dillpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
steveooo

Looks like a fun trip. Always enjoy seeing reports from new spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
This June gloom has been making me think hard about braving the heat and running to the river......I want stripers though, so thinking Willow Beach or Cat Tail cove...........Ferguson looks PURDY! Thanks for sharing!
Mighta missed that June gloom window! Hey, at least it cools down to about 90 in the evenings...

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
cabojohn
PROBATION

When its 120* at Havasu...it actually feels like a balmy 108*

C'mon fall!
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
It cooled down to 70 the nights I was there, which isn't bad but looks like the weather is starting to really heat up now. Out of 3 people I seen out there, one fella said he caught 3 stripers chasing bait balls and 12 LMB.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Mighta missed that June gloom window! Hey, at least it cools down to about 90 in the evenings...
I know 110 is where I draw the line , company visiting this week........I will be watching the forecast and looking for my escape window.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #11
oldirtybasser
Junior

Topock AZ / River

My family has a place in Golden Shores AZ on the Marsh. My Dad has actually been really pushing to retire and start a small fishing tour business where you launch at Topock and get picked up in Havasu. He said food, drink place to stay for a couple hundred a weekend. Small mouth fishing is off the hook in the early spring and fall. Top water bites every evening. Check out pics of the river from Topock to Havasu on google, beautiful place. Stoked to see people enjoying it. Ladies love it too. PM me if interested and I will talk to the old man about getting it started.
Attached Images

oldirtybasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
NICKWORN

Beautiful

Man i would love to check that out someday, maybe when my sons a little older ill be able to sneak out for a weekend.

Who doesn't love top water action!!!!!!!!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
cabojohn
PROBATION

Purdy kewl olddirtybasser.

IF you have a pontoon boat or like...a water shuttle from say / Havasu or "Castle Rock" up to Needles Bridge would be EPIC. Pull a fleet of kayaks up the river early am daisy chain style would blow my hair back.

To hire a shuttle driver is difficult and expensive because you need a trailer for the yaks. The local outfitters want to rent their kayaks...
Its a long wait and a pain in the ass doing the self shuttle...
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

Super scenic fun change of pace, did the shuttle and float down to Castle Rock Spring 2013..........talking to my Pops about a Fall trip to the river camping and fishing.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ghlight=topock