Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Anchors, no anchors, types of anchors

I'm at that point with the new kayak where I'm comtemplating an anchor system. Again, I'm new to kayaks, but not to boats. (Ex-Navy Hull Tech). On my boats I always ran a two anchor system that I would fabricate a an arm and roller that extended a few inches out from the boat. However, I'm guessing a kayak offers a whole new set of issues. I've seen the anchor trolley system. How many of you guys use this? Also what types of anchors does you guys use (if any)? Metal, sandbag, drift sock? I like the idea of an anchor trolley because it seems it offers the advantage of putting the kayak into or away from any current. i.e. at bow or stern.
Thanks in advance:
Tony
Salt Water Flies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
echo1er

I used them before. It depends on where I am tho. If I'm in the harbor and basin or lake I'll set one up if that. But if I go out to the open ocean that is to much work. I just now started fishing the kelp bed. I would just drift around save your project money for something better.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Siebler

You will probably find that for local guys the Drift Chute and Kelp Clip are far more popular than traditional anchors.

As for trolleys, I love them. Make sitting in a good position on your anchor of choice a far easier task.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Have you been out on your yak yet?

I know you said you are new to yak fishing. I'm fairly new myself, but id suggest that you get some field experience in your ride so you know first hand what things you need and what things would just be"fluff". If you find yourself constantly wishing you had an anchor then you should definately do the trolley system. You may find that for your style of fishing you dont need one and the whole deck mounted system would just be one more thing for your fly line to snag on.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
PapaDave

I use a drag chute type anchor a lot. Recently added an anchor trolley system to my ride and it is great. It is much easier to deploy, control and retreive the chute then it was without the trolley. I also have used a kelp clip a few times, comes in handy at times.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Salt Water Flies
Junior

William good advice. I was thinking on similar lines. I might not need an anchor and it would most certainly be something the line will get tangled on. So if I can do without, I might. I'm trying to keep everything seat forward as clean as possible and only add things behind the seat. However, thanks everyone for the replies and ideas as what to use if I decide to use an anchor. I like the idea of a drag chute too.
Tony
Salt Water Flies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i like a 5lb grapple type anchor for the bays. its really useful when the tide is ripping and you can set up above structure and let your baits drift into it. out in the open ocean a drift sock helps on breezy days and a kelp clip works wonders when you find a nice hole to fish. most of the time i just tie the kelp to my yak on a cleat or D-ring.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
taggermike

I've have a had an anchor, 2 actually, for years and very rarely use them. I've anchored a few times in the south bay and a few times out at point loma when I paddled out to surf and had to leave the kayak. I don't have an anchor trolley, but would if my fishing style demanded lots of anchoring. To me any way, anchoring is a PITA that I don't need. MIke
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote