Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Anyone have tips for outfitting a kayak for fly fishing?

I'm going to be using my kayak for fly fishing and was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for rigging the kayak specifically for fly fishing (I generally fish Florida and Cape Cod)? Generally, I'm keeping everything seat forward clean as to not tangle fly line when stripping. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas I'm not thinking of because I'm new to kayaking. For example line tenders, fly storage, anchor sytems, etc... Also how much will I need a landing net? It would seem that, because you can bring the fish up to the kayak close in and it is low to the water, a net would be sorta useless. I may be wrong, so any thoughts would be helpful. I won't need any electronics as most of the fishing will be sight fishing or blind casting. I have been fairly successful in the past and had a cheap fish finder in my last boat that proved useless. However, again, maybe a better fish finder would have done the trick?

Thanks for any help
Tony
Salt Water Flies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

Have you considered a mesh apron that would go in front of you? Similar to some float tube designs. Make sure that it would be a very easy break away in case you need to escape quickly. Quick snap attachements with a little mono break leader on your side?

If you are casting in skinny water away from your yak, a traditional FF will have limited use. It would be usefull for recon of the bottom prior to fishing.

Post up your rig and your trips, interested in getting back to throwing flies.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Fish Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Flies View Post
I'm going to be using my kayak for fly fishing and was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for rigging the kayak specifically for fly fishing (I generally fish Florida and Cape Cod)? Generally, I'm keeping everything seat forward clean as to not tangle fly line when stripping. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas I'm not thinking of because I'm new to kayaking. For example line tenders, fly storage, anchor sytems, etc...Thanks for any help
Tony

HMH makes/sells a portable, packable stripping basket that snaps on a belt around your waist called the "KR Linetender"

http://www.hmhvises.com/linetender.htm

This is what I plan to use on my yak come springtime... but then, I'll be standing while sight-fishing with the fly rod so it may be easier than from a sitting position. Don't know if you were planning on trying to stand on your yak or not while fly fishing?

I bought and had installed the Stand N' Fish leaning post/pontoon system for my Stealth 14 just so I could fly fish easier from a standing position in skinny water here on Long Island. It's a pretty slick system and so far I really like it.

http://www.standnfish.com/

Also, I'm considering adding one of these to put my fly rod in while I'm under-way... have so far heard pretty good reviews about it and the price it right.

Hobie Horizontal Rod Kit
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...older-Kit.html

Best of luck to you!
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
something like this should work....everything you'll ever need for any situation

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
jorluivil

Search GOOGLE and I'm sure you'll get a boatload of returns. I've heard of a few guys on here that fly fish but I'm not sure if they do it from their kayaks or from shore. Nonetheless, if your search comes to a dead end just be patient, someone with knowledge will chime in. More than likely it'll be JimDay

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

The great thing about fly fishing is that everything you need can fit in a good fly fishing vest. No need for a livewell, you've stated that a f/f is useless to your style of fishing. Id suggest any extra rods be stored in hull if a large center hatch is assessable,.as opposed to storing rods in an upright vertical position that can tangle you up. As for a net or gaff, that really all depends on what you are fishing for. Bluegill... I think you'll be good. If your fishing for something you cant safely handle while keeping your balance then a net m ight be in order.if you plan to keep what you catch maybe all the space your saving could accomodate a cooler and ice to keep your fish fresh......or a 6 pack of beer

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Thanks everyone. Some excellent suggestions. Rod holders are certainly a concern for me. My fly rods are 9 ft long with reels that are 4 to 6 inch in diameter for saltwater species. The biggest thing I have caught is some spanish mackerels in the Gulf, and blues and stripers when I'm in/on Cape Cod. Of course, fly reels do not sit in conventional rod holds, so I was wondering if laying them down would be preferred. Seems like that might be the case. I like the line tending ideas too. I might make a canvas with some quick release hooks for a line catch/tender/stripper. Love the idea about using fishing line for quick break away. Also, been thinking about making some stabilizers to stand. On the Cape standing will be not an option most of the time, way too choppy. However, in Florida, standing is an excellent option. The Keys offer alot of skinny flat water as well as the other area I fish around Anna Marie Island in Bradenton. When I'm finished rigging it I will post some pics and certainly more ideas will be helpful. I really, really appreciate everyones suggestions and I'm glad I found this forum. I posted two pics of some flies, that I use and tie, that have been successful for anyone getting into fly fishing in the salt.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1327298841794.jpg (21.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-01-25_13-28-39_269.jpg (25.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Bobby, I just noticed your pic . You know that is my tendency lol lol. Maybe I can add a few more anchor cleats to catch my line on.
Tony
Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Wow! Those look great! I could see them both working VERY well in certain situations!

I tried tying a few and they worked great for rock fish. I never had a chance to throw them at anything else.

Tying flies is not easy!

More fly pics please!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Salt Water Flies
Junior

I have few more pics of flies. These have all produced fish in one place or another.

Tony
Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Sorry still getting used to how this works Here are the pics
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1326652001433.jpg (8.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-01-25_13-49-44_470.jpg (16.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-01-25_13-51-07_358.jpg (18.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
DanaPT

It's a lot of fun. . .

But you'll learn that you need adjustments.

The scotty mount rod-holders I have don't work with my fly rod since there just isn't enough but-end to slide into a rod holder. Which left me few options other than breaking it down when not in use.

Iceman suggested to me last year via this site, that sitting with legs over the side so that I would be able to false cast w/o snagging up on kayak accessories (rods, mounts, seat, etc.) It works.

My personal experience: The fly rod is more productive than a sibiki for catching nice sized bait fish.

Nothing like an ocean fish on a fly-rod. They fight hard and produce a lot of bend, I could not imagine catching YT or WSB on a fly-rod (for the record not caught them on a conventional rod either!)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Yeah the Scotty fly rod holders didn't seem/or look to be heavy enough to hold the large fly reels I have. I feel ya on the fishing record!! I have caught alot of diffrent salt water species on fly rod, spanish macks, sea trout, cobia, lady fish, blues, stripers, barracuda, snapper etc... and even flounder on fly. I have yet to get the ones I really want permit, bonefish, and tarpon. These species are extremely tough to catch on a fly. Not because they wont take a fly, they will, but they are difficult to stalk on the flats and super spooky. The Florida Keys will challenge you if you are using a fly rod. It will take an experinced fly fisherman and humble him.
Tony
Old 02-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Warning!!! If you guys think kayaking is addicting add fly fishing into it. lol lol . Here is some pics of the gear incase anyone is thinking of getting into it. I have heard alot of guys combining Kayak fishing with fly fishing, especially in the Keys. Way more affordable when you can't afford a $30,000 flats boat, or $375 a day guides. I paid that once for a guide that got me into ZERO fish. I did better on my own. Not to mention the guide was talking on his cell phone, and decided to do maintenance on his engine. Lesson learned.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-18_12-30-03_959.jpg (73.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-18_12-30-29_373.jpg (83.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-18_12-30-42_623.jpg (76.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
tacmik

Or you could just sit sideways and strip the line into the water.