Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

Somebody save us....

from environmental wackos

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,1995123.story

MARINA DEL REY, Calif. -- Environmental officials unveiled an unusual catch Wednesday -- hundreds of discarded toilets and other debris recovered from the ocean floor along the Southern California coast.

The toilets were recovered from a reef populated by fish, lobster and sea urchins by the California Lost Fishing Gear Recovery Project and are part of an effort to cleanup the coast. How the trash was dumped there is unknown, experts say.

edit: who are these phooking experts that can't tell an artifical reef when the see one

please write KTLA and blast these sumbiatches.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

Maybe they would prefer to have them in a landfill? Or in a redneck's backyard as a planter?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I'm no expert, but I would think at least the toilets would be a great way to make artificial reefs.Would probably create more life than kill it.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
shortstack

wildlife habitat

Tell me whats wrong with the toilets being in the ocean? Think about it!! Im sure they make great structure for plantlife and fish. Their not made of toxic materials. Whats the difference than say a block of cement or even a rock. So by the Enviros taking these man made structures away they are hurting the wildlife. Sometimes you got to think outside of the box!!!
shortstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

The toilets were placed there as a artificial reef. I guess they just don't get it.

Maybe they will discover the Yukon off San Diego and start a big cleanup project to remove the boat....... Duh...
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
DENNYh

If sponge Bob can live in a pineapple then fish can live in a toilet
DENNYh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
wiseguy

F'n retards I swear! Those are part of the reef.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Billy V

From the people who like the smell of their own farts......and the bunny huggers chanting.
-------- Kill The Fisherman - Kill The Fisherman --------

"Experts say lost fishing gear can kill fish, birds, seals and sea lions, and damage the reefs and kelp beds that are the basis of the California coastal ecosystem. In 2005, the California Lost Fishing Gear Recovery Project was established at UC Davis to enhance and restore underwater habitat for the benefit of marine animals and people.

Since May 2006, working for the project have cleaned up nearly 17 tons of gear (mostly commercial nets and traps) from the waters around the California Channel Islands, and more than 1,400 pounds of recreational fishing gear off public fishing piers from Imperial Beach to Santa Cruz, including more than 1 million feet of fishing line
"

Yeah sure buddy - stick that Prius up your arse
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
From the people who like the smell of their own farts......and the bunny huggers chanting.
-------- Kill The Fisherman - Kill The Fisherman --------

"Experts say lost fishing gear can kill fish, birds, seals and sea lions, and damage the reefs and kelp beds that are the basis of the California coastal ecosystem. In 2005, the California Lost Fishing Gear Recovery Project was established at UC Davis to enhance and restore underwater habitat for the benefit of marine animals and people.

Since May 2006, working for the project have cleaned up nearly 17 tons of gear (mostly commercial nets and traps) from the waters around the California Channel Islands, and more than 1,400 pounds of recreational fishing gear off public fishing piers from Imperial Beach to Santa Cruz, including more than 1 million feet of fishing line"

Yeah sure buddy - stick that Prius up your arse
I'd be interested to see a spreadhseet on those numbers.. and the methods used to clean the stuff up. mainly speaking the Commercial nets/traps.

everytime you go to a Zoo of a beach, there is always plastic buckets and little kids toys that find there way out to sea. stuff left behind on acident after people leave etc. Chairs, bottles... The Fisherman get the pointed finger most of the time, but how often do they acount for comercial Tourism, witch I can honestly say, remains leader in the bulk of trash and shit that fall into the ocean.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
mo2vation

I went nuts on this issue yesterday

I'm still so pissed I could spit.

I was up early on Wednesday, and saw the early broadcast. Channel 2 posted that broadcast on their site here: http://cbs2.com/local/discarded.toil...2.1715784.html in the right nav bar.

The late broadcast (11:00 AM News) soon replaced the original broadcast - as now they had footage of the UC Davis chick that's running this program, interviews with fisherman, divers, etc.

Curiously edited out of the later broadcast (as well as the link above) but still in the story I posted on Dive Matrix is the Fiber Optic cable connection, as well as the "consideration for MLPA status" angle.

This thing was a $30,000 state-funded media stunt for this organization. Its removing harmless, inert porcelain, causing much unnecessary damage to the reef - a reef nobody dives on (so its hardly "an eyesore") for the sole purpose of getting attention to a problem completely unrelated to the toilets.

Toilets get you in the news. If it were cinder blocks down there, nobody would say boo.

With absolutely no agenda apart from I don't feel like cross posting a bunch of stuff I wrote elsewhere, I would encourage you, if you're interested, to click over to Dive Matrix (http://www.divematrix.com/showthread...etting-removed) and read more about this. We have PhD Marine Biologists, divers, fisherman and the founder of the local S2R organization carrying on a very civil (although I'm a bit warm) conversation about this very issue.

I have transposed and posted most of the audio from the original 6:00 AM broadcast, as well as posted links to the organization responsible for this, a news story about the event, etc.

As you look through this, their motives do not become transparent (I still have no idea why they're doing this) but their intent is easy to spot. They want coverage.

They are planning something else, folks - and I'm putting a nickle on the table its anti-Fisherman.

This group does fine work. Their mission of removing derelict fishing gear saves marine lives and reduces danger for divers in many places. I'm all for it. They're very good at this and they have been.

Why they're branching out to SoCal (first time) and why they're branching out to non-abandoned fishing gear (also first time) to grab harmless Toilets off Malibu (no marine mammals are getting hurt by growth-encrusted toilets on a reef nobody will ever dive) using funding established to mitigate impacts to the sea floor from a recent fiber-optic cable installation project off the Southern California coast are the questions we need to be asking of this organization.

-Ken

Last edited by mo2vation; 05-27-2010 at 01:08 PM.
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
batty1of3

but there may be poop in the toilets
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote