Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
jhernandez

2nd Kayak

Been thinking of a second Kayak mainly to be able to take out friends and family, and just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the Radar 115, I have a PA12 and it will be easy to get a compass since wheels, bait tank and accessories will be interchangeable between kayaks but just thinking of venturing outside of Hobie.
jhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
DanaPT

I kept my 2010 OB for that reason... someone to tag along. For the most part what we do isn't that appealing to the typical person. That kayak hasn't seen water in about a year now.

If you get another do it for you, I was thinking about a fast paddle kayak, but who am I kidding. Peddling is my preference.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
jhernandez

I fear the same thing might happen especially having to transport 2 kayaks without a trailer might becoming challenging and than also having someone willing to help you clean them off after using them might also becoming challenging so I have been thinking long and hard about it,
I really just want something lighter and lets accessorized than my PA12 something I can load and go for a quick 1 to 2 hour trip in the water. the Radar 115 is small enough for that job with the option to eventually buy the Helix drive, but that would out me some where around 2400ish but finding a Hobie Compass is also small but comes with a drive at 2000ish, guess I just need to spend more time thinking or hopefully can score a good deal on a Compass with everyone upgrading to the new outback :-)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Semper Fi-shing

I decided to get this recently just to go out with a buddy but havent taken it out fishing yet. In the process of hooking up two fish finders to it and getting it ready for lobster season
Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Semper Fi-shing

2017 oasis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180804_102829.jpg (42.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
jhernandez

That's awesome I have considered to ask a friend to split the cost of a new Hobie Compass but not sure yet still thinking.

Good luck out there I heard lobster hooping off a kayak is tricky but once you master it its all good and having a buddy in arms length to lend a hand even better
Old 09-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Semper Fi-shing

It's awesome to have a buddy share in the experience, especially when both limit out in less than an hour
Old 09-18-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
goldenglory18

Any of the Wilderness Systems boats that are in the 12' - 13' length and 30ish" width are FANTASTIC boats. Also would be a solid option for a second if you just wanted to putter around a marina one day and not mess with the complexity of a Hobie.

Ride, Radar, ATAK. If you can find one that is used and CLEAN, they are almost always a steal of a deal.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

HUH...?

"...putter around a marina one day and not mess with the complexity of a Hobie..."
Yea it's so complicated clicking the Mirage drive into place to putter around the marina...LOL...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
ProfessorLongArms

^what he said

I find a Hobie to be remarkably simple.
I’m amazed people try to launch land with their drives in, but it’s super easy to manage and transition.

My only real issue is that the outback is a turtle in big surf and has little margin for error. Still trying to figure how tippy a revo is in considering it as a second for just that.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
jhernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Any of the Wilderness Systems boats that are in the 12' - 13' length and 30ish" width are FANTASTIC boats. Also would be a solid option for a second if you just wanted to putter around a marina one day and not mess with the complexity of a Hobie.

Ride, Radar, ATAK. If you can find one that is used and CLEAN, they are almost always a steal of a deal.
Am highly thinking of a Radar 115 mainly to try something different than a Hobie but a few people that I have talk to have told me that the Rotary propeller drives are nothing compared to that of a Hobie, Some have even said that the drive gears constantly skip making it that much difficult to move at a steady speed.

The only thing that has me leaning towards a Hobie is the interchangeable livewell.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhernandez View Post
Am highly thinking of a Radar 115 mainly to try something different than a Hobie but a few people that I have talk to have told me that the Rotary propeller drives are nothing compared to that of a Hobie, Some have even said that the drive gears constantly skip making it that much difficult to move at a steady speed.

The only thing that has me leaning towards a Hobie is the interchangeable livewell.
Build a livewell for your next boat so you have one in both. It's not that difficult to build. Container that fits, water in, water out, protect the battery.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhernandez View Post

To be frank, if you are going pedal power, go Hobie.

BUT, I still strongly recommend the Ride, Radar, or ATAK as a second/guest/in-harbor boat. If I had room for more than one, I would have kept my Ride and been 100% happy with it.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi-shing View Post
2017 oasis
I bet you grow out of those training wheels pretty fast. Tight Lines and remember that is a great yak for fishing mako-ville.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote