Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
gary sullivan

I have one of the first sx 2-speeds that came out and got a lot of experience dealing with saltwater intrusion. Everything T-rex said is spot on. With the earlier versions, salt water would get behind the drag washer and corrode the metal causing it to expand outward. The end result was that you would lose free spool capability unless you loosened the three screws that hold the right endplate in place. Avet got smart and glued the drag washer to the aluminun metal surface. I heard that Avet asks you now if you are a kayak fisherman when you call in with problems that could be saltwater related.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
blackcloud9
Kayaker

As far as the SX, mine has caught BSBs and 20 lb yellowtail no problem. I
would rather hook the bigger fish on the MX though.

The 3 Avets I have had for years on the kayak - an SX, an
MXJ and an MXJ 2speed. They stay high and dry in my baittank rod
holders and I have never "maintained" them myself except taking them
in to a shop one time for thorough cleaning. I think they are great.

My reels get splashed at worst, and I would never try to get
salt-water "out" with fresh water. I rinse the outsides very lightly
and never spray water into the reel. That works for me.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
fknricter

ive got a few avets myself, love them so far! ive torn them all down myself. its pretty easy! and with all my reels, i "paint" all the inner surfaces with a light coat of grease, this help the water run off the surfaces and not have a chance to dry and leave salt deposits. i also remove the shields from the spool bearings, clean out the grease and add oil. for some reason the spool bearings have 1 side shielded and the other open. with both sides open, the water cant get stuck in there. + you gain freespool(which can be bad if your thumb isnt ready for it) oil may not stay in there as long as grease but it only takes 3 screws to access them. so far i own an sx, mxj, and jx, and just won an sx mc! love them all so far! take them on kayak with no guming issues that i could tell, and always stow them away when landing just incase i dump and lose them..
as for the mc or non mc ?. the only downside to the mc i saw, was you lose a little bit of distance, depending on what youre doing, and for me personally, if i were fishing the mc reel, then grab the non-mc one and make a cast, i would forget that i have to thumb it and birdsnest. thats it..
fknricter is offline   Reply With Quote