Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #101
Iceman
Administrator

Not quite sure what the raffle status is, see if Paul chimes in. We were not expecting the generosity to reach the level it has from contributing people and companies.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #102
Iceman
Administrator

Old 12-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #103
FISH11

Got to work and can't join you guys. Sorry I won't be able to make it but at least, I was able to donate earlier on the other post for Steve. Good luck to all and especially to Steve.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #104
PAL

Prizes packed. Just a few hours to go. Good luck everyone!
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #105
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadelta View Post
Just signed up, any idea on how much raffle tickets are going to cost? I just want to make sure I bring enough cash.
Thanks for signing up!

It will depend on how many people show up to the awards ceremony and lunch. Likely $1 or $5. We're striving for fun and fairness while also helping Steve with his cancer fight. You'll probably want more than one - we're considering a new format.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #106
momo fish

Is there a fee to park by baby beach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #107
TXMJG
TxAngler

No it's free parking

TXMJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #108
Bowhunter
Junior

Pictures from The Steve Green Shoot Out!

http://adobe.ly/1XRM9qH
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #109
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
Pictures from The Steve Green Shoot Out!

http://adobe.ly/1XRM9qH
Nice, thanks! Mind if I post a few of your photos here and on Facebook?
Old 12-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #110
Bowhunter
Junior

Please go ahead, these are for everyone!
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #111
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Nice, thanks! Mind if I post a few of your photos here and on Facebook?
Love the Red bikini shot!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #112
ful-rac
Emperor

See what you guys missed?!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #113
tacmik

There was an item left at the tourney. I have it. describe and It is yours. And no. It's not in a red bikini.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #114
Cbad Mike

Looks like an awesome time had by all.
Disappointed that I was unable to attend but always sending good juju Steve's way.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #115
PAL

THANK YOU! 93 people registered for the Shootout for Steven Green Kayak Fishing Friendly​ tournament on just a few weeks notice. It's a testament to the community and a loving tribute to our friend Steven Green, AKA Landwhale​. Steve was recently diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer. He's facing an aggressive treatment schedule and determined to walk through the fire.

Steve started kayak fishing 16 years back. Ever since, he's always been around whenever the community needed a hand. He's pitched in at countless tournaments, volunteered with Heroes on the Water- SoCal Chapter​, and worked tirelessly in the background to keep our kayak fishing access during the Marine Life Protection Act. It was great to see the community return the love. Many salty kayak anglers we haven't seen for a while turned out. Even the original Hook1 showed up. It was amazing to see you all again.

"Thank you for from the bottom of my heart for the outpouring of love and support," Steve told me this morning. "We’re right about there. The tournament raised quite a bit of money," he added.

Some 45 fished through a day that dawned cold and quite a bit windier than we all hoped. Kayak fishing stalwart Dave Easton won the Catch Photo Release bass category with a 21.5-inch calico. Dana Pt has historically always produced halibut for a kayak tournament, but didn't this day, possibly due to the heavy swell that rolled in overnight before settling down for tournament day.

Several anglers who released rockfish and legal barracuda slapped their foreheads in frustration when they heard. No fish came to the scale, so Easton doubled up and took home big fish too. $465 to him. Between entries, auction, raffle and direct donations, we raised an estimated $5,000 for Steven Green's cancer treatments.

Special thanks to cancer survivor and long-time restauranteur Yanni Hassir​coglu of Fisherman's Belly (www.fishermansbelly.com) who served fish tacos and fresh guacamole and salsa to the crowd. Props as well to his volunteer prep crew.

"His food prep and presentation was just amazing. One of the highlights of the day. He really worked hard on it and it showed," Steve said.

Several companies and individuals volunteered prizes for auction and a raffle (we didn't ask, they offered), and the community spent generously to help out Steve. Thanks go out to all of you.

In particular, appreciation to Ric Hawthorne of Ten Crows Forge​ for the most impressive trophy plaques I've ever seen. They wowed the crowd. We presented a specially customized version to Steve. Also to Davey of Okuma Fishing USA​ for the Savage Gear baits, Water Wolf camera and Komodo baitcaster. OEX Sunset Beach​ and Andrew Allen​; The Kayak Fishing Show with Jim Sammons​ and Raymarine​; Morgan and Kevin of Hobie Fishing​; Charles Belñavis​, epic fish artist and tattooist; Mark Olson of Ocean Kayak; Tim of Dana Point Jet Ski​; Kayak Fish Magazine​; cancer survivor John Upchurch of Mad Frog Gear​ and many more.

Please take another look at those names. Those companies are staffed with authentic kayak anglers, people who came up through the grassroots. They are family. Keep it in mind when you have money to spend.

Ed Keil​, Edward Warren Pelissier​, Tony, Allene and Jim Sammons, Tman and the many more of the Baby Beach tournament HQ crew, we couldn't have staged this event without your selfless help. Much love and respect!

Most photos courtesy of Big Waters Edge poster Bowhunter - thanks! The other courtesy of big winner Dave Easton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steven-Green-1.jpg (111.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Steven-Green-2.jpg (129.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Steven-Green-4.jpg (98.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Steven-Green-5.jpg (71.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Steven-Green-7.jpg (124.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Steven-Green-9.jpg (138.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Easton winning bass.jpg (68.1 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by PAL; 12-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #116
Iceman
Administrator

When Paul said I started the bidding at $200 I said What? Huh? who me?.....this guy had said it! Glad to see that $350 was raised for Charles generous offering of original art work and stoked I won one his calico prints in the raffle, gonna mat and frame it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Sight unseen, I will start the bidding at $250.00 for Charle's piece of art. Should I win it will be hung on the wall at OUR place in Gonzaga.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #117
Iceman
Administrator

Here are a couple on the water shots

Old 12-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #118
kurt

Thanks to all who pitched in to put this together. Great time for a great cause. Wish I could have stuck around for food and more fun, but my office holiday party required my presence. Holy Mackerel watched my raffle tickets, and I hear that I won the Water Wolf Underwater Camera, so I'm stoked to have footage of my lures with no fish on them. Thanks again to all who made this happen.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #119
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
When Paul said I started the bidding at $200 I said What? Huh? who me?.....this guy had said it! Glad to see that $350 was raised for Charles generous offering of original art work and stoked I won one his calico prints in the raffle, gonna mat and frame it!
I knew you were good for it. Think how great it would have looked hanging in OEX Sunset Beach. I was just looking out for a friend - it came framed!

ROFL, Kurt! Great to see you, Holy Mack, Rhyno, Hook1, Tman, Nancy and several other longtime friends.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #120
ful-rac
Emperor

Fun! Fun!

It was a fun day!

Good food! Good people! All coming together to help a friend in need!

Always glad to help out for a good cause! Thanks for putting it together Paul!